Product FinderConsumer Advice

Ingredients for Homemade Milk Paint

Can anyone tell me where to buy "hydrated lime" Borax and "lime-proof pigments" in Baltimore City, Maryland? We want to make our own Milk Paint. We have googled our brains out trying to locate the basic ingredients. We are not going to purchase the prepackaged types! Home Depot type stores can't tell me which type of lime is "hydrated".

Lawn and garden folks can't answer either. We need plain Borax. Not Boraxo because that has detergent surfactants in it. Where or how can we get our hands on some? Lastly, what in the devil are "lime-proof pigments" for this paint? Businesses who sell these can't tell me either! Please help alleviate this torture. We are stumped! Also, if you have an exterior paint recipe you have made and really liked how it turned out, please tell us! Thanks ahead of time.

By extremefrugalist from Baltimore, MD

This is third-hand, but I've heard a warning that milk paint that actually has dairy in it can sour on you and create more, and more toxic, problems than you want to deal with. If no dairy is involved and that's just the name of the paint you should be OK.

Try a feedstore, they will put you with the people who put lime on fields that need acidity improved. They are knowlegeable about different types of 'lime'. I only know the sliced green kind.

In response to what kind of lime to use for making homemade milk paint, use slacked lime. Lime that has been soaked. Ordinary lime goes through a heat cycle when water is added. You don't want that. I read somewhere that pickling lime (used for canning pickles) could be used. For the color, I read that powdered tempera paint would work. I have not tried this yet, but plan to do so soon.