Pet PagesPets

Kiaat and Ursa (Leonberger)

Kiaat and Ursa are 10 year old Leonberger dogs. We got both Kiaat (the big male Leo) and Ursa (the smaller female Leo) 10 years ago when they were puppies. Ursa was a rescue who was given up 4 times since she kept getting bigger and bigger and the people thought she was "just too big". Well she was not too big for us, and now she is still with us after 10 years of unconditional love.

The 2 of them love to hang out together just about everywhere but especially outside in the sun during the winter. If there is snow, so much the better! They love the cold since their coats are so very thick. When I brush them, I could stuff a king-size pillow!

We love them both so dearly, and I am sorry to say that Ursa has aggressive bone cancer that cannot be treated. We keep her as comfortable as possible, give her her favorite treats every day and take her "byebye" in the car no matter where we go. We will miss her something awful, but the pain we will experience is nothing compared to the love and joy she has given us for those many years!

By DanaE from Elkin, NC

I love this. Finally people that really love their animals (lot more do), but you can hear their love in writing,So many people put dogs out on chains after they get older. I wish we had an animal control that takes care animals like some big cities do where they take them court & fine & jail time. Thanks for writing a great story. Lucky Dogs & Lucky People Cookie17

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Like Cookie17, I love your heartwarming story. I am so very sorry that your dear Ursa has bone cancer. But do remember that you accepted her for herself after 4 different people gave her up, and that you gave her a wonderful life filled with love. I hope that this will give you some comfort after she goes to Rainbow Bridge.

Take care of yourselves and one another and please give both Kiaat and Ursa a warm snuggly hug for me.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

It is so wonderful to hear from other people who care for animals as much as I do. It gives me hope.

I am sorry to post that Ursa was helped over the Rainbow Bridge last week. I sat with her on the floor along with my husband and we were with her until the very end. We will miss our Dear, Sweet Ursa so very much!

Reply Like this photo? Yes