Display Collectibles Instead Of Storing

Collectables need to be shown and not stored away. It seems a shame to collect something we love and not show it. Displaying them is a way to say "this is what I love and this is what makes me, me". So take them out of the box or hidden on a shelf in the corner.

One way to do this is to find a special area in your home and designate it for "showing". The way I've always found attractive is having larger items in the back. If they're all pretty much the same size, then building a small step or putting them on blocks placed appropriately looks great, too.

You can make your steps and blocks out of wood pretty easily (or have hubby do it for you:) Stain them to make them match windows sills, etc.

Also, wrapping shoe boxes with material or wrapping paper makes a great look. You can change the look at any time just by changing the material or wrapping paper. Lastly, plant lights directed at your treasures is really nice at night while relaxing or during a party. Just have fun with it!

By Marg from Middletown, NY

I hate dusting and cleaning so, for me, less is better. There are a few sentimental things that belonged to my Mother that I have on display and a lot I have stored in a closet and I rotate them. The rest of the bookshelves in my living room holds mostly a few books and pretty boxes holding pictures, manuals, etc. a couple of plants and one each of the people I love along with a picture of my dog. So dusting becomes much less time consuming and a lot healthier since I live where dust storms are not uncommon.