CatsPets

Is Dawn Dish Soap Safe for Bathing Cats?

Category Cats

Can I use Dawn dish soap on my cat? He is an 8 year old tuxedo.

By debra from Parmus, NJ

I'm the queen of using Dawn Dish soap; but because of it's degreasing chemicals, I wouldn't. Use Ivory liquid instead.

Yes, I understand that bathing with Dawn is even good for ridding the cat of fleas.

Most definitely, Dawn Dishwashing liquid is perfect for shampooing your cat or dog. As far as I know, only the original blue liquid Dawn has the flea-killing formula, but maybe all Dawn liquids do. I only use the original blue. You can even bathe small kittens with Dawn if they are ridden with fleas, just be careful not to get it in their little eyes.

I'd wait until they are about 6 weeks old if possible. The blue Dawn kills fleas on contact.

My cat didn't seem to mind it at all, but I've not had to bathe him in about 5 years now. Only once did he ever have fleas, and we bathed him, then dusted the entire house with food-grade diatomaceous earth, never had another flea.

Hope this helps you.
Pookarina

I'm certain this would be perfectly safe. During the oil crisis in the Gulf, the original blue Dawn was used to clean all the poor animals that were full of the sludge water. Our vet for our shih tzu recommended the original Dawn to bathe her in. She was allergic to all the flea/tic removal products. It worked out very well.