Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

Category Bathroom
The minerals in your home water supply may leave what are called lime deposits in your toilet, the beginning of the infamous ring. This is a guide about cleaning lime deposits off a toilet.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have experienced a buildup of scale (lime?) in the bottom of the toilet bowls in our home. What's the best remedy for eliminating it?

By William H. Young from Lynchburg, VA

Answers

Best Answer

I have used a pumuce stone. It gets the stain off and wont scratch. I have a guest bathroom that is not used very often.

Best Answer

The house we moved into had horrible deposits. I tried everything imaginable and then someone suggested "The Works". It's cheap, some in a white plastic container (about the size and shape of a Windex bottle. Worked! After getting out yuck use it and let it sit about an hour a week. A bit hard to find but Kroger often has it and usually The Family Dollar Store! I would do a free commercial for this product!

Best Answer

Try mixing 2 tablespoons of salt with 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar. Vinegar is a natural cleaning agent.

Does anyone know if taking supplements causes the toilet to get mineral deposit build up? Our toilet is total covered with deposits. Toilet bowl cleaner does little. I can only get it clean by removing all water and using CLR with a Scotch Brite and a butter knife.

By Sherilyn

Answers:

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

Pumice stones work the best, and they won't scratch either. I've found some good ones at: bkpumice.com

Good luck. (09/19/2009)

By Debbie

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

I had the same problem and tried everything, even a $16 bottle of something from the hardware store. I finally tried The Works that I bought from Walmart for about $1.20. It is amazing! I had to use it a few times at first to get it back to normal, but now I quickly swish it every day and no more build up. Make certain you follow the directions. I assume if you leave it longer than it says it can damage the finish. (09/22/2009)

By Gail McNamara Romano

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

Its not calcium supplements, it's the lime in the water, and this it what the build-up looks like in the back of a toilet. The part you can't see gets more and more built up, reducing the flush. (09/23/2009)

By julie

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

If you remove as much water as possible from the bowl then pour down a large bottle of the cheapest cola you can find, leave for as long as possible (overnight best) and brush and flush. Yea, pearly and white! (10/15/2009)

By lesley

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

I ended up using the Zep stuff, but my stains were so hard that I was afraid to do anymore than 2 two minute treatments. Then I got the Bar Keepers Friend (bought both at Home Depot, boy they were very helpful). I used the green 3M scrubbers with the BKF and got it off. It didn't take an hour, but needed elbow grease. This was just for a mineral deposit ring on my toilet. Sparkling clean! (08/08/2010)

By SalishT

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have lime deposits on the inside of my toilet bowl which causes it to not work. How do I get rid of them?

TIA,
Lois

Answers:

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

I tried everything, as we were selling our house, including emptying the bowl and adding vinegar. I decided that I'd try the pumice stone as a last resort, only I wished I had tried it first. It can even be used wet so you don't have to empty the bowl first. I bought it at the Dollar store, put on some gloves and got the bowl clean in no time. It won't harm the bowl as it's fine, not rough. Whatever you try, good luck. (07/15/2007)

By Kim

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

I have tried using pumice stones and it worked although it was a lot of work.
At Home Depot they sell a product called Zep, and it's just a acidic cleaner that you squirt on. When I used it I was shocked and amazed and will never use anything else, by far the best product out there. (07/15/2007)

By Lisa

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

Everyone say together: Spirit of Salts.
Pour two cups into the toilet bowl, close the lid and let sit for two hours. Flush and scrub as usual. Repeat if necessary. Ventilate very well.

I moved into a house with a toilet looking like the devil's backside; I had no hope of ever getting it clean. I used Spirit of Salts and it came out clean and sparkling as new.

Editor's Note: For us American's this is hydrochloric acid. This is very caustic so use with extreme care. (07/15/2007)

Cleaning Lime Deposits Off a Toilet

One cleaner that works well is "Lime-Away", just spray on and let sit, the longer the better, then scrub. It works great on shower heads too. (07/16/2007)

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.