Improving Boxed Cake Mixes

I am making a wedding cake in June and would like to doctor a Duncan Hines butter golden cake mix to make this cake. It will be a four-layer cake with butter-cream icing. I have made a doctored wedding cake with Betty Crocker cake mix, but Duncan Hines butter is my favorite.

By Fran from St. Mary's County, MD

If it was me I wouldn't bother to doctor it. It tastes ok as is, most people don't even eat the cake at a wedding, and no one expects it to be that tasty, so I wouldn't bother, especially if you're making homemade frosting.

For each box of mix, add a box of vanilla instant pudding. Change nothing else. When baking put a pan of water on the rack below the cake that you are baking. Super moist cake this way. I myself do not care for yellow cake- I LOVE white cake with cream cheese frosting. Yum. It's always a good idea to at least try something out ahead of time if you make changes to be sure it will turn out the way you want it to. Maybe not on such a large scale- maybe one box at a time so you can see if you like it, and if it's a suitable change.

I add pudding even to mixes that say "pudding in the mix" and it always turns out good for me.

All you have to do is to add an extra egg and use whole milk in the recipe. Sometimes I also add just a tiny bit of almond flavoring. However, I usually add it to the frosting but I have added it to the batter as well. I have had rave reviews with my cakes. I hope this is helpful to you.

I guess we all have funny tastes but(my 2 cents worth)I like the idea of white cake (lighter than yellow) and the pudding will do exactly like Ambailey says and use the water too. You can add whatever flavoring you wish to add though, I like a hint of lemon.

Don't be too hard on yourself and if you have doubts for 98 cents in Walmart buy one and bake it just like the one you plan and serve it cut up at church or your family etc. see how you like it. Happy baking! This is how people find something really great, playing with cakes etc.

My advice would be to stick with what you know in this case. Or else leave yourself time to make the other in case this does not work.