Easter Bunny Cake

I have an April birthday and my mom made this cake for several birthday parties when I was little. Twenty five years later, I tried to recreate the cake for Easter and succeeded! It was almost to cute to cut into - I had to use a sharp knife and make it quick.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

• 1 cake recipe/mix baked in 2 (9 inch) rounds
  • white frosting
  • flaked coconut
  • green food coloring
  • medium size jelly beans
  • white construction paper
  • pink construction paper
  • Ziploc baggie
  • large flat platter

Instructions:

Make sure the two cake rounds are completely cool. Stack them on atop the other and cut them in half (this insures that your two "halves" are the same size).

Place two halves cut sides down on the platter. This will form the bunny's body.

Frost the two between the two slices and their exterior.

Cut the remaining halves in half again. Place two of the quarters against the bunny's body to form the his legs.

Cut about 1 inch off the remaining quarters to form the bunny's head. Frost between these two pieces to stick them together.

Use the remaining pieces to create the bunny's tail and feet if desired.

Frost the entire bunny and sprinkle with flaked coconut.

Cut two ears from white construction paper and make inner ears using pink construction paper (it works to double the paper when you do this so both ears are the same size) Glue the inner ear to the white pieces.

Tuck in between the bunnies head and body. Use a pink jelly bean to create the bunny's nose. Use blue or pink jelly beans to make the eyes.

Shake 1-2 cups coconut with green food coloring in the Ziploc bag. Sprinkle around the bunny as grass being careful not to get any on the bunny as the color will transfer. You may want to wear rubber gloves to protect your hands.

Decorate with extra jelly beans.

Note: I used white cake, but was tempted to use Red Velvet cake for the boys :)

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

Very cool!

Love the bunny cake. I also learned to make this same style when I was only 13, have enjoyed making it since. I use a big marshmellow for the tail.

Love your Easter Bunny. The instructions are very well laid out.
Thank you.

My mother made this same cake when I was a young child in the early 1980s. I remember shaking the baggie with the green food coloring and the coconut, and picking the right color jelly beans out for the nose and eyes. Sometimes she let me cut the ears out of paper...

I remember that we did not have construction paper in the house, so we would use a paper plate and used pink crayons for the inner ear.

Seeing this really made me smile with nostalgia! I haven't seen one of these bunny cakes in 30 years.

Thanks for sharing, and for making the instructions so very clear.

My Mom use to make one similar and also used colored uncooked spaghetti for the whiskers.