Keeping Trash From Smelling

I live in the country and don't have a disposal. I bag up my "stinky" stuff every day and take it to the dump once a month. In the meantime, I don't like to keep it in the house, so I put it in a double bagged can out on the porch. Sometimes, however, I get something that gnats love, like bananas or cantaloupe that needs more bagging than usual.

That is when I get a single bread wrapper to do triple duty. I put the offensive items in the bread bag, then twist it really close to the bottom. I pull it back over itself and twist it again. Then, I repeat. That is triple the wrapping without triple the bags!

Sometimes, the last wrap isn't enough to twist it for a tie, but a little tape is all you need. This almost completely protects the 'stinky" stuff from attracting anything. It is also really good for diapers!

By Sandi/Poor But Proud from Coos Bay, OR

I keep a spray bottle containing bleach by the inside garbage can. Spray the bag before closing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

If you live out in the country why don't you start a compost pile away from the house . You will have less garbage to throw out, and nice compost for your garden.
Use real diapers. I did 4-5 dozen per week in 1 load of wash per. If you really want thrift and quality living, then this is it. Take the plastic bags back to the grocery store to be recycled.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I also live in the county and we have lots of critters that would love to get into the trash. I can't compost for the same reason. Mountain Lions, Bears, skunks, fox, deer, etc. I keep the bottom shelf in my freezer for my garbage. Just wrap in plastic and freeze and then take to the dump when we go. No, smell, or luring animals in.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenJuly 27, 2010
📓
🎂
🌻