AdviceClothing

Can I Use Nail Polish on Dyeable Shoes?

Has anyone ever dyed "dyeable" shoes by using nail polish? I need a metallic bronze for a wedding I am going to and can't find the color that matches my dress anywhere. I then bought a nail polish that matches what I want exactly.

I realize this is unconventional, but wonder if anyone ever did it. Thanks!

By Arlene from NY

It would take an awful lot of nail polish to accomplish the job. Did you check with shoe repair shops and even the store where you bought the shoes? When my nieces got married their attendant had swatches of the fabric with them when they bought the shoes and the shoes were sent off someplace to be dyed. Are you an attendant at the wedding or just attending it, that would make a difference. If you are just attending the wedding you could get by with plain black strappy sandals or even a neutral color.

I am just attending, but black would just not look good and I don't have enough time to get them dyed professionally. I guess I could just go neutral if all else fails (like my putting nail polish on the shoes!) I did buy 6 bottles so here goes nothing :-) Thanks for your response!

I would try looking at the various fabric paints at a craft store, or even a light spray of auto paint

How about spray paint? There is all kinds of metallics in them now. I have never done it but it might be a solution.

My thanks to all! I actually finally did use the metallic nail polish and it came out beautiful, like in a designer shoe store!

Many thanks for all your responses.