Removing Shoe Polish Stain from Rose Coloured Carpet

My daughter is in Sea Cadets and even after telling her umpteen times not to polish her boots in the living room, she did. Now, I have a huge black shoe polish stain on my carpet. I hadn't noticed it until today and am not sure how long it has been there. Any ideas on how to get it out? The carpet is new and I'd really hate to have to have it replaced.

Thanks for your ideas.
Darlene in Mississauga

You should try Goo Gone, which won't hurt the carpeting. I used this when I had three very noticeable lipstick stains on bedroom carpeting. I followed the directions on the bottle and kept blotting and blotting until all traces of the lipstick were gone. In addition, I changed the blotting cloth several times so I wouldn't rub the removed lipstick back into the carpeting. I didn't think the Goo Gone would work, and I thought for sure the lipstick would permanently stain the carpet. However, the Goo Gone worked great, and there are no marks on the carpet from either the lipstick or the Goo Gone. Since shoe polish is kind of "greasy" like the lipstick, maybe it will work for you too. Good Luck!

Tori

Go to Walmart and get a can of SPOT SHOT Works everytime!

Take a can of butane cigarette-lighter gas, and discharge a "puddle" of the liquified gas directly onto the stain. This will freeze it, enabling you to spot-clean the polish off using some paper towel. Do not rub too hard, or you will damage the carpet!

This works for me, on a 100% wool carpet, it also alows the removal of chewing gum that has been trodden in...

Beware: Highly inflamable, so no smoking either at the time, or for 5 minutes after in the room!

I just got a puppy who felt that a bottle of black shoe polish was a great chew toy on new white carpeting. I checked out this web site and tried Spot Shot as suggested by Beth. Worked wonderfully. It saved the carpet!

I used Ethyl Chloride (liquid alcohol) Got the idea form the person with the cigarette butane idea! It worked a treat - so easy to remove... Thanks!

Tried spot shot on liquid black shoe polish scuff cover on carpet, did not work, any other suggestions?? HELP!

The butane gas works wonders on the boot polish on red carpet. Like the man said, no need to rub too hard with kitchen roll. Leave five mins and dab with dry towel and hoover, boot polish GONE!

Thanks for that.