Tax Deductions for Homeschooling

I just started homeschooling and was wondering if there are any tax deductions I should look for. Can I deduct for books and other school supplies?


What about larger items like software, desk, globe, field trips, etc.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 9, 20090 found this helpful

Contact your state as well as the federal tax sites. Yes, there are so many things that can be used for public, private and home schooled children.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
By Meg (Guest Post)
January 10, 20090 found this helpful

Find the homeschool groups in your state, and ask them that question. The homeschool community can supply you with so much information and support! We live in Wisconsin; I am not aware of any tax deductions or financial aid available to us here. If there were, I would hesitate to accept it, to ensure that we would not have any "strings attached" regarding our choices in educating our children.


Homeschooling is private education, and costs money. Don't be afraid of that, just take it one year at a time - budget for it, setting aside $$ each month for the big summertime spending. Look for used curriculum through your homeschool community and online.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 12, 20090 found this helpful

Teahers are allowed a $250.00 credit on the federal tax return.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 2, 20090 found this helpful

I don't believe there are tax deductions anywhere- or atleast I hope there isn't. I home school because I don't want the government involved in my child's education. Tax deductions allow them to regulate homeschooling.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 11, 20090 found this helpful

No, we don't get any tax breaks. The above mentioned teacher tax is for full time teachers who work 7 out of 9 months in a PAID school, public or private environment.


We pay the school tax but get no breaks as a school. However, if you do pay school taxes (as a property owner) you are entitled for your child to use the school libraries and to take a class or classes (such as band, music, art, math) at your public school. If the district gives you trouble, contact your state board of education.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Budget & Finance TaxesJanuary 5, 2009
Valentine's Ideas!
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2020-01-28 11:15:06 in 2 secs. ⛅️️

Loading Something Awesome!