Tax Deductions for Homeschooling

I just started homeschooling and was wondering if there are any tax deductions I should look for. Can I deduct for books and other school supplies?

What about larger items like software, desk, globe, field trips, etc.

Contact your state as well as the federal tax sites. Yes, there are so many things that can be used for public, private and home schooled children.

By Meg (Guest Post)

Find the homeschool groups in your state, and ask them that question. The homeschool community can supply you with so much information and support! We live in Wisconsin; I am not aware of any tax deductions or financial aid available to us here. If there were, I would hesitate to accept it, to ensure that we would not have any "strings attached" regarding our choices in educating our children.

Homeschooling is private education, and costs money. Don't be afraid of that, just take it one year at a time - budget for it, setting aside $$ each month for the big summertime spending. Look for used curriculum through your homeschool community and online.

Teahers are allowed a $250.00 credit on the federal tax return.

I don't believe there are tax deductions anywhere- or atleast I hope there isn't. I home school because I don't want the government involved in my child's education. Tax deductions allow them to regulate homeschooling.

No, we don't get any tax breaks. The above mentioned teacher tax is for full time teachers who work 7 out of 9 months in a PAID school, public or private environment.

We pay the school tax but get no breaks as a school. However, if you do pay school taxes (as a property owner) you are entitled for your child to use the school libraries and to take a class or classes (such as band, music, art, math) at your public school. If the district gives you trouble, contact your state board of education.

Budget & Finance TaxesJanuary 5, 2009
💘
🍀