OdorsCleaning

Removing Scented Oil Type Odor from House

Category Odors

My wife and I just moved into a new house. It is a great house, but it smells. Now here is the "strange" part; it doesn't smell like dog or skunk. It smells like we're living in a candle store. It's not the best of scent choices and it's overpowering.

My wife and I both get headaches if we're inside too long. We can't seem to find a source for the problem (air filters, carpet, floor, etc.). It's like the previous tenants painted the walls with scented oils. We would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank you.

By Chad

It seems like it's just going to take time. Since it's still summer time, I would air the house out. open all windows and doors. Keep using the air filters and purifiers, eventually, the scent will die down.

The problem with those scented candles and plug in air fresheners is that they have oils in them. These oils are released into the air with heat, Not only do they put a fine layer of these oils all over everything but they are extreemly hard on the lungs of asthmatics or anyone with breathing problems.

If you paint the walls and hire Stanley Steamer (rug doctor will not do it) you will notice a big difference. This will also cover and remove any nicotine that might be in the carpet or on the walls.

Have you tried washing down the walls with maybe a lemon scent Pine- sol cleaner? When you clean the carpets, put something with a fresh clean scent in the liquid as well. Good luck!

Anonymous

I also agree with thoroughly washing down the walls and cleaning the carpets. I have a neighbor who has plugins in every single room of her apartment and I can't even go in there because it's so strong I can hardly breathe.

I've even run into her in the corridor and will be talking to her and she even smells like the plugins :-o When her sliding glass door is open (and mine too) I can smell it wafting through the air and I live three apartments away from her :-o

You might check your filter (a/c or furnace), and see if the previous people hung one of those air fresheners on the market which hang on the filter. It might be that they did, in which case, hopefully just removing it should take care of the problem for you.

Good luck! Pam

I would suggest eliminating your allergy to the 'candles' by seeing an NAET practitioner (www.naet.com). I was allergic to perfumes and got headaches, but no longer do.

You can try setting out little bowls of lemon ammonia. I do this every time I fry fish, boil cabbage etc.

Works like a charm. For some reason the ammonia absorbs odors. Hope this helps.

Washing walls, air filters, etc. all take time and if this is giving you headaches now, I guess you want a now solution. Leave small dishes of coffee beans around. These are used in perfume departments to remove the smell of one perfume before trying another. Best of luck, I feel for you as perfume does the same to me.

My husband at one time worked for the housing authority. There was a time or two that people had passed away in the apartments, and no one had checked on them such a family and friends. When someone did finally check on them they had been dead a week. You can imagine the smell in that amount of time in the heat of summer. He put out charcoal in tin foil pans and left them in there for a week, and it removed the smell completely.

My husband also did a job for family that bought a house that a man had passed away in. He hesitated about buying the house because they could not remove the smell. My husband told him to buy it because it was a bargain and that he could remove the smell. He place charcoal in the house and left if for a week. The smell was completely gone also. So try this but get the charcoal that has no "fuel" added, just plain charcoal.

Amazing! Where did he buy the charcoal?

I know this is a problem for me too. That is why I bought out further so I could get new without someone else. I figured I would need to change out the dryer exhaust vent and wash either vinegar or bleach before the load of laundry.

This is six years ago.You need to remove all carpet and get the walls washed and repainted. A lot of workout the odor would be gone.