VHS Stuck in TV/VCR Combo?

A VHS tape is stuck in our small Magnovox TV/VCR combo. I've tried nudging it without any result. What else can I try? Thank you.

By K OLeary from New Haven, NY

I used to have to take off the top of our vcr all the time to remove stuck tapes. Usually the tape is wrapped around the heads or loose inside. But you cant remove the top on a combo unit. We used to have one of those but it was so problematic we ended up giving it away for just the tv.

This one sounds a little too easy to be true but it is worth a try:
wiki.answers.com/.../How_to_remove_stuck_VHS_tape_in_VCR

I can't really say I understand this fix (by Sharon ...near the bottom) but several people responded that it worked for them.

Please be very careful if you try this.
www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=73308

You could call a repair place and get an price estimate but I would think it would be at least 30 dollars. Never hurts to ask. And of course if you get the tape out I wouldn't try to wide it back up. I would toss it and clean the vcr heads. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the two links; I was inspired to try a third option, after repeated attempts of the two good ideas didn't work for my situation.
Here is what did! I unplugged my never fail Magnavox TV/VCR combo, paused a minute, then at the exact same time USED THE REMOTE CONTROL "EJECT" BUTTON (instead of the tv/vcr button) AND PLUGGED IN!

TADA!!! THE TAPE EJECTED IN GOOD CONDITION. Much appreciation for your time to write your suggestions, in manner I decided to promptly write in my "thank you with the idea that worked for my solution to this problem. Beth in Montana

Unplugging and plugging back in the vcr/tv combo while holding eject button worked like a dream, thank you so much. I was worried about a movie I treasured that I don't know if it can even be bought anymore. Didn't want to have to tear apart TV. Thank you so much!

Hi, it is 2021 and just had the same issue with my Philips 19 inch Combi-VCR/CRT TV.

Holding eject then powering on worked to get the tape out, although it is now ruined but the TV still works thankfully!

I wish i came googling this first and I just bought a special screwdriver to get into the thing and then pratted about looking inside it for an hour before I came here. VERY glad I didn't try to disassemble the TV liked i was planning to do next ...

(wiki.answers.com/.../How_to_remove_stuck_VHS_tape_in_VCR)

I had a machine that this would happen to also. Sometimes if you unplug the unit and then plug it back in it will eject the tape by itself.

I will try using either an ice pick or a butter knife to see if you can't gently lift the VHS tape that may give the eject button the nudge it needs to eject the tape. I have a combo also and that's what I had to do.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

This happened to us years ago. We unplugged it to take it in for repair and the tape popped right out. Try that first.

Home and Garden Repair Electronics (Large) VCRApril 21, 2009
🌻
👔
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf44970969.tip.html