PlanningParties

Middle School SemiFormal Dance Ideas

Category Planning

I'm in the process of planning the 8th Grade Social for my daughters school. Please send me any and all ideas. It is semi-formal but I don't want it to be semifun.

Limbo idea is good. Snowball? More details? Please let me know any and all ideas. PammySue

By Sharon,Ky (Guest Post)

How about a SPRING INTO SUMMER THEME? Decorate with flowers made from the big rolls of colored paper every school has. Butterflies,tulips, dragonflies,etc. Surely someone from the school has bulliten board patterns you can cut out. Let your imagination go wild.

By (Guest Post)

8th graders want to feel like and be treated like teenagers, not children. No limbo, or Chicken Dance.
I'm an 8th grader myself :)
Good Luck!

By Bethany (Guest Post)

I'm a 8th grader... and we are going to have a hollywood theme dance. With red paper for a red carpet. and we are going to use cardborad to make props and paint them.

It takes a while but we got donations of cardborad boxes and paint and we are getting the paper from the teachers work room. or you can do a hawaiian theme. theres many themes

By Alexj1023 (Guest Post)

I'm not so sure about themes, but what we did was that we played a lot of "teen power" songs like: Teenager, My Reality, Who Likes Who and more, it''s great to get the kids excited
p.s. the artist to those songs is Jordan Pruitt
{myspace.com/jordanpruitt(clean)}

By jacqueline (Guest Post)

We were planning to get an actual amusement park ride to our school dance, but we couldn't and then we decided to just make the theme carnival style, it didn't turn out great due to last minute changes. So plan early! There are many things you can do!

By Dani (Guest Post)

Kids like fun exciting things, and it all depends on the dance your doing, such as maybe if you were doing a Hawaiian themed dance you would have a punch volcano, a lot of balloons,maybe a fountain, couple of buckets of sand to give the full effect. Kids think dances are often boring because music isn't up to their taste these days, and well nobody will dance at that age, so maybe have some fun games as an alternative! Ask a few different students with all different music chooses, and ask a what some school appropriate music would be!

By madgirl <>< (Guest Post)

I think black and white is a great idea for a middle school dance. It's original and fun. Not many schools thought of that one!!! Like everyone could dress in black and white and it could be basically semi-formal.

It should be a dance for middle schoolers, because I'm a 6th grader, and I know that we don't like to be treated like babies!! We like to feel mature and we also like to be treated that way.

By Brittany (Guest Post)

I am running for class treasurer and I am also the same age. The treasurer in our class plans the dances and events so I am looking for cool things to do at dances. A good valentines dance idea would be to have roses for a dollar and the boys and/or girls can give them out to their crush or boyfriend/girlfriend. Then a note will be attached to the flower saying who it is from. It doesn't have to have a name (in case someone wants it to be secretive). Then they will write who the rose is for and the DJ can announce the receivers name.

Glow sticks also work very well and it's a good way to MAKE money for your school.

You can also play a game to get everyone dancing. You pull a boys name out of a container and you pull a girls name out of a container. Then the boy and the girl have to dance with each other for one song. It gets a lot of people dancing!

By Julia (Guest Post)

I agree with some of these comments. I am in eighth grade and when the kids in my class here about a dance I plan...I'm the pres. They want a cool fun idea. Any suggestions?

By Mikayla (Guest Post)

I agree with Guest post!
8th graders don't wanted to be treated like children so grinding and snowball is good for a dance!
I am an 8th grader and thats what i like to do most!

By SuNnY (Guest Post)

My friend and I are planning a school dance and we need ideas plz help.

Anonymous

It depends on what kind of dance you are doing. Think of colors that go with the theme. Also think about how others think. Sone might think it is lame or others ore thrilled.

Planing is hard trust me I know. Get ideas from different varieties of people. Also show enthusiasm to get others excited. Maybe teachers and staff of yours have advice too.

By BABY-d. (Guest Post)

Hey like all the others I need help me and a group of girls are planning an eight grade social and we need a theme to base everything on. We really need help.

By stacey (Guest Post)

I'm a freshman but the 9th grade is still in the junior high. we're having a semi formal. Need a classy romantic theme because we do bring dates. Help?

By Brittany (Guest Post)

Well, I'm one of the people in our school's NJHS (I am also in 8th grade), and we're planning to have a semi-formal dance for just the 8th graders, as like a "graduation dance". We are planning on doing a spring theme, since we're going into spring (though I wanted school colors). We also are having a band and Dj come and play. We're having it on a Saturday at night (6-9 to be exact), and will be selling tickets for the dance.

The only thing I can't think of, is what food we will bring. Myself, and other people agreed that we should just have something simple, like pizza (since one is right accross the street), but the leaders of the NJHS (the vice-principal and such) think that that's not semi-formal. So that's the only thing we're stuck on.

By nikki (Guest Post)

My dance had a guitar hero booth where all the kids that didn't want to dance could feel like they weren't left out.

By Kimberly (Guest Post)

hell yea! i got a dance coming up on 3/28. anybody wanna gimme dance outfit ideas? its semiformal xD

By 14 going on 20 (Guest Post)

Most of the people here need to be careful. I'm going through a process that's doable within two months. It'll most likely require one month of planning and one month of getting it together. But I'm confident.

The idea is for the theme to come out not as a prom-like feel, and not as a sock-hop feel. It's middle school, and requires a balance.

1. The planning shouldn't start off with your opinion, but by polling and asking the students what they want to see. That's what counts after all.

2. Divide the ideas into categories. I suggest Times (40's, Night ect.), Phrases (after movies, and songs), Places, and Events. It'll give you a better organized way to look at your themes.

3. I say about 15-20 is a good start off number. There has to be some themes are the list that are ridiculous, or just unrealistic. Ask an adult for help on that part. (If you need it.)

4. You're looking for the most memorable, original prom.

Those were just some tips because I'm tired.

By Sadeez (Guest Post)

Our school is having a semi-formal what should the theme be any suggestions? Thanks

My daughter went to a semi-formal dance and she just went in a nice dress shirt, skiny jeans and high heels. If you dont want to have your daughter were hight heels how about flats?

Anonymous

I am an eighth grader and I want my formal to be great. My school's formal theme for the past few years ahs been "Hollywood red carpet." I want something different. I was thinking of a few themes that would be great for our formaal this year. maybe "Under the sea" or "Black, Silver, and White." I think those themes would be great.

Anonymous

Like, if your school has a courtyard of something, you might be able to do it there. Hang fairy lights to make it nice, etc. Its not too fancy, but just make sure you plan according to the weather.

Anonymous

A great gatsby themed party!!!!!!!!!!!!!