ToysCleaning

Removing Sharpie from a Cloth Doll

I bought an American Girl Doll at Goodwill and they wrote her price in Sharpie on the cloth body: any advice for removing this?

Beth from Chapel Hill, NC

American Girl Doll

By Barbi (Guest Post)

Hairspray might work. Any kind, the cheeper the better.
Spray and blot, over and over and over...
I use it to get pen ink out of clothes.

Have you tried alcohol or a product called goo gone or bleach? I have used these to remove marker from different objects. Make sure clothing is removed. I hope one of these will help you. Happy shopping (thats one of favorite stores).

By angel (Guest Post)

try the product OOP's. you can get it from mileskimball.com

good luck!

Try the magic eraser.

I've used nail polish remover to get sharpie off of plastic. Maybe that would work.

You got an amazing deal on the doll!!!

Wow, what a bummer that they did that! I've had luck before with getting permanent marker off of plastic by using a dry erase marker in the same color by tracing over the writing and wiping it off. It takes a few times though, and might just make it worse since it's on cloth... I'd try maybe to match a flesh colored paint and paint over it as close as you can. Or paint most of the back section to the seams to make it look like it was meant that way...Or cut it out and sew it up to give her an original "scar" so the doll will need extra love and attention:)

I know you probably don't know for sure if it is Sharpie brand or another, but you might contact the Sharpie company and see if they can offer any helpful hints on how to remove it. Hope this helps!

By angel (Guest Post)

I am a chemist and we use permanent marker all the time in the lab. Try alcohol first. Alcohol is a really good solvent for removing permanent marker, but on cloth it will probably bleed, so do the blot technique.

Be VERY careful with nail polish remover. It may actually melt any synthetics that the doll may be stuffed with! Bleach will bleach the fabric as well as weaken it. I know the Magic Eraser works on walls, but I don't know about fabric. Good luck!