Pest ControlGardening

Homemade Product Similar To "Garlic Barrier"

Can someone please tell me how to make a spray for my gardening plants that is similar to Garlic Barrier? It is too expensive and I would like to make my own at home. It is a strong liquid garlic extract that mixes with water to keep insects off all vegetable garden plants as well as garden flowers. It is safe to use around pets and children. I would so appreciate your help on this as bugs are coming fast and I want to save my plants. Thank you ahead of time.

Kay from Clyde, TX

If you have a blender, put in lots of garlic cloves and water and blend the heck out of it. Otherwise , smash and grind cloves with side of wide knife blade until they are mush, add to water. Add also, for good measure, a tsp of liquid soap/dish detergent, and if you have pepper flakes, add them too. Add water as you see fit, smell after every cup of water to see if it still has a strong enough scent.
Let sit awhile, and strain just before you add to sprayer.

You could also try grinding up some peppermint candy, maybe left over candy canes in water (different batch).
My sis-in-law puts pieces of peppermint candy in stored rice, beans, etc, and she opened some that were years old and they were fine, had no signs of bugs(I'm talking dry goods, not canned). She had put in candy pieces in all; said they didn't like the smell.