Painting With Acrylic Paint on Plastic

Category Acrylic
Some plastics may require special preparation prior to painting with acrylic paints. This is a guide about painting with acrylic paint on plastic.

I have a lot of old Melmac dinner plates. I would like to do decorative painting on using acrylic paint. How should I prep the surface? Thanks.

By Bunny from NJ

Answers

I paint with acrylic paints all the time. I just finished making a bird house with my son out of abs I got from http://www.iplasticsupply.com/ It worked great, but I have noticed that it doesn't work well on other things.

I have a pre-used plain white banner about 4 meters by 1 meter and I want to paint details of a forth coming event. How do I do that?

By Ron M

I am having a problem. I a doing a craft painting using Acrylic craft paint on plastic bottles. I noticed the craft paint easily chips and scratches off even after it has dried over night. Was there a preparation step I missed?

Dana from Garland, TX

Answers:

Painting with Acrylic Paint on Plastic

I use the acrylic paints made by Apple Barrel. And I've found that if you mix each color with just a tiny bit of medium it flows better and holds better. The gel medium is clear and is sold beside the acrylics. Then after your painting project is completed and dried I always spray it with a clear coat seal at least 3 times. Clear coat seal is found in the hardware section in a spray can for 99 cents the lid will be clear see through. Hope this helped. (12/14/2007)

By Julie

Painting with Acrylic Paint on Plastic

I do a lot of painting on plastic. I use Folkart paints. I wash the item with Dawn dish soap really well, then after it's dried, I wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. Then I do my painting, I then spray it with clear spray paint from Walmart (about $1 a can) several coats. Folkart also makes an acrylic paint for plastic which I have used. If the item(s) your painting will be handled a lot, you still may have some problems with the paint staying on.

Maggie in Bloomington, MN (12/14/2007)

By Maggie

Painting with Acrylic Paint on Plastic

From one Texan to another, acrylic paint does not adhere well to plastic. No matter how well you clean, it will scratch or peel off very easily. An oil based paint would work better. You will find it at any craft store, but it will be in the artist/painting area not in the craft area. It is messy and stains if you get it on your clothes. Wear an apron or clothes you do not care about. (12/15/2007)

By Jennalove

Painting with Acrylic Paint on Plastic

Another option is to spray paint the entire piece with Krylon Fusion paint, it's made for plastic, then do your decorative painting on that.

Maggie in Bloomington, MN (12/15/2007)

By Maggie

Painting with Acrylic Paint on Plastic

You'll need to first clean the whole area to be painted with rubbing alcohol. This removes any oils and while it's drying, wash your hands really well with soap and water to remove any oils on your skin. Don't use hand lotion. Then spray plastic to be painted with a plastic primer. These are primers made especially to stick to plastic. They are available at Home Depot or Walmart. Then paint as you usually wood using your acrylics. Write me on ThriftyFun with any more questions. (12/16/2007)

By Cyinda