Cinco de Mayo Craft Ideas
A Mexican holiday that is observed in the US as a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage. This guide contains Cinco de Mayo craft ideas
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
These cute, inexpensive sombreros may great centerpieces for Cinco de Mayo (May 5) or any Mexican themed party. They are very quick and easy to make.
Approximate Time: Less than 30 minutes
- paper plate
- Styrofoam cup
- tan or yellow acrylic paint
- brown acrylic paint
- red acrylic paint
- paint brush
- multi-colored pom poms
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Paint paper plate and Styrofoam cup with tan or yellow acrylic paint. Allow to dry.
- Paint rim of cup with brown acrylic paint. Once the cup is inverted, this will be the hat band.
- Paint the outer edge of the plate rim with red acrylic paint. Let dry completely.
- Hot glue the cup to the center of the plate to form your sombrero.
- Glue the pom-poms, evenly spaced, around edge of the plate. Alternate colors as you glue each one in place.
By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro NC
Having a Cinco de Mayo party? If people are bringing kids, be sure to have something to do. Plan a craft like making maracas from empty water bottles. Add a few dried beans or some rice to empty, dry bottle, cap them and cover with a thin layer of paper mache' which will dry quickly in the sun, or even a layer of duct or masking tape. (Kids love tape!) Then decorate as desired with Sharpie markers, stickers, beads, feathers, fringes, ribbons, or whatever. Let kids perform to a Mexican tune in a maraca band later in the evening.
By Linda from Vista, CA