Keeping Bugs Away from a Picnic

What's the best way to keep bugs and mosquitoes away from the picnic?

By Brenda Walker Hellstrand

I stick a few dryer sheets around the picnic table or campsite. At home I soak a rag in vinegar and place it outside for about seven to ten days at a time, this helps repel unwanted pests, mammals as well as insects. :) It is just plain white vinegar soaked onto a rag and placed on my patio.

To keep ants from the picnic table put legs of table in a small saucer of water.

The most effective thing for a picnic is the Off Lamp with the little pads in it, or a butane fired burner with similar pads. The mosquito coils are fairly effective, but you have to have several.

These things are effective for mosquitoes; for other flying insects, wasps, black flies, I don't know. And ants are another thing entirely. I think you have to choose a site where the ants aren't.