ShirtsClothing

Hemming the Neck of a T-shirt

How do I hem a t-shirt neck?

By jataiea from Aiea, HI

I am not sure what you mean? Are you wanting to make a neck with the ribbing like a store bought tee, or cut the neckline where it is not so high? Tee shirt fabric is so thin, that to just make a seam, you need to either fold or roll it with a small seam, and pin it very close together, then either hand stitch it, or sew it slowly on the machine.
Good luck to you. Used to do this when the kids were small LOL!

Thanks for the hint. I meant to make the neckline a scoop neck like in women's T shirts. Aloha, Judy

I do this to all my T's. Cut the neckline ribbing off close to the stitching. Since the fabric is very stretchy, run a line of small stitches around the neckline about 1/8 inch from the edge to stabilize. You could also overcast the edge if you deem it necessary. Last step is to turn the cut edge 1/4 - 3/8 inches to the inside and run a line of stitches around the whole neckline. This results in a nice sized neckline but can be lowered by cutting deeper in the front. Be careful, don't go too low. BTW, the sewing can be done on machine or by hand, just don't stretch! Enjoy!

I serge the edge of the cut fabric. Then I turn under about 3/8" and use the stretch stitch on my machine to hem as it keeps the neck line from any stitches ripping due to the stretching when taking the shirt on and off.