Fruit TreesGardening

Will Lemon Trees Growing From Root Suckers Produce?

I moved to a new house and the previous owners dug up their lemon trees. I have 8 lemon trees growing from the roots. Will they produce or not?

By sean from Rialto, CA

No I don't think so. They are suckers-
Suckers

In your gardening experience, you've likely heard references to "suckers". Suckers are shoots that arise from below the soil surface or below a graft union. They are usually undesirable, because they rob valuable resources from the main plant. In the case of grafted citrus trees, suckers are actually rootstock and not the budded portion of the plant (notice the rootstock sucker emerging from the Improved Meyer Lemon in the photo). If left to grow, suckers will surpass the main plant in height within a few months.

Ultimately, suckers reduce fruit yield and adversely affect the shape and overall health of the tree. The good news is that suckers are easily identified and removed. A newly emerged sucker is bright green in color and it will usually appear several inches below the graft union. Additionally, sucker leaves are double-lobed (unlike most citrus varieties). In most cases suckers can be removed by gently breaking them from the trunk. Suckers that have developed woody tissues can be removed with pruners, grape shears or household scissors, by cutting flush with the trunk. Good luck.

Hello... I've got an interesting one for you. I got a lemon tree that was cut off (so it's a stump) but with what I now believe are suckers growing out of it... now I'm wondering whether I should just let a new tree grow from it.

Would this be a waste of time? And then, just for interest. Can you replant the suckers? Like actually take them off the stump and root them? I cannot find anything on google.

Hi there I was searching for an answer to a similar situation where my lemon and orange trees froze this past winter and both came back from the root stock. In addition, my lemon tree, which is a varigated variety also had a small portion survived and is also thriving.

My question was whether or not the sucker portion would bear fruit. Both trees were Mother's Day gifts so I truly hate the thought of trashing them!!!

I too would love to know if the suckers will produce fruit and will keep an eye out for any information I can find.

Best of luck with your search as well!!!

I am very interested in an answer as well.
I recently noticed what appears to be a small lemon tree sprouting in the middle of my otherwise tree-less back yard. In a rushed attempt to save in from the lawn mower, I dug it up, only to find that's its growing from a very large root and has no roots of its own.

Fruit baring or not, I'd like to save it, but at this point it is quickly wilting and I've failed to find answers through Googling.