WeedsGardening

Getting Rid of Pesky Vines

Q: I would like to know how to get rid of pesky vines that rap around all the flowers in my garden. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Laatsch

A: Laatsch,

Different vines have different reproductive cycles, so without knowing exactly the type of vines you're talking about, I can only offer you general advice as to how to get rid of them. Persistence is key when getting rid of any vines. For large vines, dig out the roots and pull up young shoots and leaves as they appear. Over time, the vines will be rendered incapable of producing any new growth. Some weeds also act like vines, wrapping themselves around flowers and plants in the garden as they "climb" - eventually choking out their hosts. Spraying the leaves with a 10% solution of vinegar should kill them. Make sure to exercise caution when using this mixture. It is non-selective and will kill or damage all plants it comes into contact with.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I have had what we call bindweed around my yard...it is a vine that wraps around plants....I tried painting the leaves with weed-b-gone, covering them on the ground level...etc...but they just kept coming back....so now I just keep them pulled as I see new plants...I remove every bit of the plant....this is my 3rd year doing this and they are getting less and less....Do not ever pull the plants and put them in compost or lay on the ground as mulch...they will have seeds...always put them in the garbage and taken away....This is a pain...but it looks like it is working....