Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater

It is very frustrating to have your deodorant leave stains on clothing. This is a guide about removing deodorant stains from a sweater.

Can anyone tell me how to get the yellow under arm deoderant stain out of a sweater that is 75% silk and 25% nylon? I've only worn this sweater twice and the dry cleaning didn't remove the stains.

Answers

By Vern (Guest Post)

Try vinegar. Soak stain with full strenth solution and then launder as usual

By (Guest Post)

I have a dark blue silk shirt and it had white deodorant stains on it. I rubbed detergent into the stains then washed the shirt but the stains stayed there. Then I soaked the stains in white vinegar and washed the shirt but the stains remained. Then I poured Methalated Spirits over the stains and rubbed the fabric together for ten seconds to loosen the deodorant substance, and then straight away I put the shirt into a cold wash in the washing machine machine which had a small amount of ordinary soap powder in it.

I washed the shirt in that for five minutes then took it out and rinsed it in cold water and dried it on a coat hanger outside. The stains were completely removed without a trace.

I guess if this worked on silk it should work on other fabrics as well. Methalated spirits is very strong so I washed the shirt immediately before it could damage the fabric. Be careful though and maybe place a little of the spirit on the fabric first to see if it melts it. I think it would melt some synthetics for sure.

By Julie (Guest Post)

Did the vinegar work for you?