AdvicePets

Problem with Neutered Dog

I have a 6 month old pit and a 4 year old german shpererd mix. i got them both fixed a bout a week ago, but the problem is that he stills tries to hump her! For example they'll play keep away and she (the shepererd) will go down back to the ground and then he'll start trying to hump her! What do i do?

Even though your dog is fixed, there is still the urge of a drive. Even when a man is "fixed", he still has a drive. Our male cat has been fixed for over 10 years and the drive is still there. I believe it won't go away, but at least it won't produce anything. Good job!

We just got a female dog and our male dog humps her too. Both are fixed. We were told at the shelter where we got her that it's a behavior thing. He is humping her to show dominance over her and it's a good thing to let them do it (maybe when company's not there though) to establish their pack order/where they are in the heirarchy of our family/pack. It'll probably pass or become occasional.

Yes, it definitely can be a dominance thing. My female dog humped my male dog when I adopted him! It is rarely a sexual thing, it is more often a dominance issue of the humping dog trying to tell the other dog (or human even!) that they are higher up in the hierarchy of the "pack". My female did this for less than a month and then it stopped because the male dog didn't have an issue with her being higher up in the pack.

Humping can also be caused by stress. If the dog is in a stressful environment he/she may be doing it as a way of coping with the stress.