Smelly Car Vents

How do I get the nasty smell out of my vents in my car? It smells really bad, almost like dog pee, when I first turn on the A/C or open a vent. I've sprayed Lysol, Febreze, and lots of other things right into the vent. Please help me! Thank you.

Naomie from NC

Take a whiff where your vents are on the outside. Sometimes cats spray there. If it smells bad, wash the area well with vinegar then after cleaning all the leaves and any other debris out of the vents, turn on the air conditioner and spray Lysol Disinfectant Spray into the vents. Let the air run for a couple of minutes. Sometimes it takes a couple of treatments, if it's real bad. But it definitely works.

Try spraying the lysol into the 'intake grille' of the cars a/c. Then run it for 5 minutes. That's what the repairmen told us to do for that problem. It sure solved it fast.

if your vents are still smelly try replacing the cabin air filter. my husband works on his car a ton so i always thought it smelled like grease in the car. we reaplced the filter, like you do in your home, and the smell was gone. i could just be aged with outdoor smells

The smell generally comes from the AC on max or recirculate. This causes the air to recirculate, and not allow fresh air into the system. The AC condensor never dries and becomes moldy and smelly. Change the vent to outside air and turn the AC off a couple of minutes before your destination, leaving the fan on high should help in drying things out.