Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Painting Ideas for a Room With Half Dry Wall and Half Paneling

My son's bedroom is in our finished basement. Down there, the walls are half drywall and half paneling. My son doesn't like the paneling at all and I was wondering if I should paint the walls and paneling? I just have no idea what to do. If I would paint the paneling and walls, what colors do you think would look nice on them? His favorite color is blue. If you could help, that would be great!

Ryan

Ryan,

Growing up, there was a panel wall in my room that my dad used as a divider in a master bedroom to cut the room into 2 separate rooms for me & my 2 brothers. The paneling side in my brothers' room remained brown. The side in my room was painted a beautiful shade of pastel pink. It looked great. You can do the same with your son's room. As for a color, this would depend on his age & other decorating items & such you will be using in the room.

Marla

http://www.forgetmenotaromas.com - Our fragrances leave lasting impressions. Just one whiff and the addiction sets in. Choose one of our many fragrances or be creative and design your own.

White or cream paneling with blue drywall might make him happy and be the backdrop for a nautical or ocean theme, depending on the blue. The white might make it look lighter in there, since it's a basement.

Paint the paneling with an oil base, then an latex...then use the panels to stripe the wall...seeing your son's fav. color is blue, perhaps do blue and white!
You can paint the larger panels blue with a white stripe in between..(that being the groove in between)
Just saw this on HGTV...so don't think I am brilliant.
hgtv.com Debbie Travis' painted house...7/19/05

To paint paneling = fill in the holes from pictures, etc. then give it a good coat of KILZ and that must dry thoroughly then 2 coats of anycolor Latex. I just had my family room done this way and I love it = it looks like wainscoating now. Mine is bone color.

The paneling is going to need something on its surface that will help the paint stick to it. Talk to an experienced paint dealer before painting!
You are either going to be scruffing up the surface, or painting it with an undercover coat or two of something.

I painted paneling in my kitchen, bathroom and living room, if it is a dark paneling I suggest you put some type of a sealer on the groves as mine bled thru and had to have 5 coats before it covered. I also suggest you give it a light sanding before painting as it will cover much better and less coats. I learned from experience.

After a light sanding and sealing you might want a base coat in a semi gloss. after it drys completely you you can brush on a light coat in a lighter color satin or flat , say blue basecoat white top, take a damp sponge and in one stroke drag from top to bottom spreading and thinning the top coat. Give it a wood look without the grain. the second coat still needs to be wet and since you are basiclly moving it by sponge to the bottom you only need to apply the paint to the top 1/3 or so. I've done this with great results, really brightened the room.

good luck.

Would you consider another solution to painting? There's a wallpaper product called PaperIllusion which works great over paneling. You don't need to fill in the grooves or do any special prepping...just clean the walls and apply a wallpaper primer. It's REALLY EASY to apply...your son could even do it (I don't know how old he is) SERIOUSLY. Check it out here: http://www.wallpaperillusions.com/ I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have. Good luck!