Bag Styrofoam Packing Peanuts Upon Arrival

Be kind to the environment (and your neighbors). Grab a bag when receiving a package with foam packing "peanuts" and place the pieces into the bag immediately; tying off the top when done. Should you have a need to use this type of packaging you have them right at hand. If not, place the tied off bag into your trash. This prevents loose pieces from spilling out of the trash can on pickup day and being scattered throughout your neighborhood.

By tahloolabelle from Ventura, CA

Many "packaging" stores now accept the peanuts, so if you'd really like them to be reused, consider this possibility, too!

It's also a good idea to keep some of those bags of peanuts to use in the bottom of pots when you are re-potting plants. That way you use less potting soil and the pots don't weigh a lot if you have to move them.

Don't throw them away, reuse them or donate them to a shipping company or a local business that does a lot of shipping. You should also check that they are not the decomposing kind, some are made out of a vegetable starch that breaks down in water, just test one in a little water to see, if it does break down, you can toss them on the lawn or garden while you water, or if you're in a hot climate, wait until Christmas and make it snow, my neighborhood kids loved it.

The next time you purchase something that is shipped with the Styrofoam packing "peanuts" in it, immediately put them into a bag and tie it off or seal it.

Non-recyclable loose "peanuts" placed into a trash can may scatter when the container is emptied, leaving you or a neighbor with a real mess to clean up. (Yes, I am the neighbor!)

By Trisha from Ventura, CA

Answers:

Thanks for posting this. I also find a lot of them on the roadside when I'm picking up litter. (03/01/2010)

By Hate Litter

I use the "peanuts" in the bottom of my planters instead of rocks. They are lighter, so much easier to move, and they don't break down. And I am recycling. (03/02/2010)

By laidbackracing

And you know - as long as we're bagging them, we could also keep a bag or so of them around for when we're packaging something to mail. I'm always hunting for bubble wrap and the like. (03/02/2010)

By texasauthor1

After I fill a trashbag or two, I offer them on my local freecyle site for people who sell on e-bay or have their own business. It helps them and keeps them out of the landfills.

http://www.freecycle.org/ (03/03/2010)

By Maryeileen