Recycling Styrofoam

I'm in Honolulu, HI (Island of Oahu) and looking for some place to recycle Styrofoam packing material.

By Adele from Honolulu, HI

Answers

If you have a lot of styrofoam packaging peanuts, take them to a warehouse that uses them for packing items in to customers. Just call around and I'm sure some business would love to have them and make good use of it.

Att: William Young,
Let me introduce myself. My name is Tim O'Brien . Iam VP of sales for O'Brien Packaging in North Canton, Oh.

I found your request saying you where looking for someone to recycle styrofoam . I am currently looking for people like yourself who has the capability to handle ALL the styrofoam you can send me by truckloads if necessary. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime the first of the week. My
cell Phone #-330-705-8496. I look forward to hearing from you.I can gointo details when you call.
Thank you, Tim O'Brien

I've seen in UPS stores signs that they take packing peanuts back for recycling.

Freecycle is an online site that matches up people who have things that would otherwise be thrown away twith people who can use them. When I moved I got many moving boxes, paper, styrofoam etc. this way. Merlene

Answer this Question

6 More Questions

How to recycle Styrofoam with food on it?

By Jeff

Answers

Wash off the food, then you can recycle the styrofoam.

My area won't take the Styrofoam in the recycling, so, I clean it and find uses for it! A nice firm piece to wrap a sandwich to, a note holder, cut out shapes for crafts, etc.

You can scrape the food off, and wash it if you want to use it again. I use Dixie paper plates instead of styrofoam.

Answer this Question

How do I turn Styrofoam into glue?

By dan123 from Calgary, Canada

Answers

brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/20016.aspx

Recycle Styrofoam: Make Your Own Glue

In the last article on Styrofoam (polystyrene), we looked at various ways in which people were recycling the polystyrene at home. Here we are going to go over a process in which you can turn your polystyrene into a super glue at home through a discovery that comes from a Japanese researcher at Sony.

Tsutomu Noguchi of the Sony Research Center found that the oil from orange peels would dissolve polystyrene. By using a product called Limoene, that contains .5% of the orange peel oil Noguchi found that the polystyrene would break down into a liquid form that created a very strong glue and can be used to create styrene pellets that go back into the production of more polystyrene. Currently, the Sony Corporation is the only major company to mass recycle polystyrene in this way through a full system that they call The Orange Network System. You can learn more about this process at: www.Sony.net

In order to make a polystyrene or styrofoam glue at home you will need some items to get the job done properly. So, first gather the following:

Two or Three Styrofoam (polystyrene) food containers
Limonene/Orange Oil *can be purchased at Citrus Depot
Large Metal Pot
Clean Jar or Jars with lids

Once you have your items together, the first thing you'll want to do is get set up in a well ventilated area or go outside. The Limonene has a powerful orange scent and the polystyrene can be odorous while breaking down.

Tear up or cut your polystyrene into small pieces
Place your polystyrene into the metal pot
Start off with pouring 4oz of Limonene onto the polystyrene
The polystyrene will then break down into a thin liquid form. Take the resulting liquid, which will amount to about 9oz and pour into a jar. Label it well as "Glue" before you put it away, so you and your household will know what it is later.

Chose to use your glue wisely, as it can also act as a type of sealant. Once you use it, just like some of the better super glues it is there to stay and is very hard to get off.

Large Metal Pot
Clean Jar or Jars with lids

I got this from Green Living.

I found this link while doing a search: www.brighthub.com/.../20016.aspx

Answer this Question

I've been recycling for a little while now and I can't find a place for the styrofoam. Any ideas?

By nicole from Grand Rapids, MI

Answers

You might look here at earth911.com:

search.earth911.com/?what=Styrofoam&where=Grand+Rapids...

www.ehow.com/way_5840511_easiest-way-recycle-styrofoam...

I just saw a story/video on the news last month on how they recycle the styrofoam that was interesting:

www.king5.com/.../styrofoam-recycling-heating-up-90121662...

I chose to gather up my blocks or styrofoam padding pieces or peanuts as they call them and take them to
a UPS location nearest you. When I take them there,you would be surprised how badly they can use them. I usually gather them up in garbage bags when I get items especially things I buy on EBAY or larger boxed item.
They wont give you money for them but they really get used there and they appreciate the donation!

Answer this Question

I recycle everything I can, except I cannot find anyone who will take the Styrofoam coffee cups from the fast food restaurants. I usually have 5 to 7 per week. I don't want to fill up the our landfills if they can be recycled. On the bottom of the cup is the recycle sign with a "6" in the center and "PS" underneath. Any help? I live in Atlanta, GA.
-cdolfin

Answers

That sounds great but it would be even better if the cups were recyled material already. While we are on the subject of coffee, I just found out there was healthy coffee made from a mushroom from Malaysia, the name is Ganoderma Lucidium.Go here and try it.
www.instacafe.organogold.com

Answer this Question

I recycle everything I can, except I cannot find anyone who will take the Styrofoam coffee cups from the fast food restaurants. I usually have 5 to 7 per week. I don't want to fill up the our landfills if they can be recycled. On the bottom of the cup is the recycle sign with a "6" in the center and "PS" underneath. Any help? I live in Atlanta, GA. -cdolfin

I am in the Atlanta Metro area, and looking for someplace to recycle styrofoam packing material. William Young

Better Living Green Living Recycling OtherAugust 6, 2013
😷
🌻
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recycling-Styrofoam.html