CrochetCrafts

Crochet Giant Football Bed Cover

Can anyone tell me how I can crochet a "giant" football to fit a full size bed, without using a graph chart. Thank you.

By Memy from Houston,TX

If you could figure out how to crochet just the brown football oval, it would be easy to go back over that with white yarn in a large eyed needle to sew over the brown to make the design for the football. My mother in law crochets dolls, and she cant put the faces on them. I cant crochet, so I do the faces for her. If you will look on the back of the crochet piece, it is easy to follow along with the white thread, so that it looks almost like it was made at the same time.

About my Crocheted Giant Football Bed Cover, I need a pattern to start with;a pointed oval rug shape to start it off. Thank You Kindly. MeMy

If this were me crocheting, I would start at the center (like making a doily) then work around & out in a spiral fashion (in the round). Once you get the shape of a football in a smaller version, (in the center) it's easy to just follow this around & around (making pointed corners at each end). First you'll need to make it oval & not round. You do this by not starting with a chain that's slip stitched together then crocheting into the ring (like in a round doily). But instead what you'd do is start out with a short chain of 5 or 6 then going around the chain in a circle crocheting in the top of the chain then around the chain & into the bottom of the chain (like making the sole of a baby bootie), as you continue around you will crochet 3 - 5 in each end (to make a point on each side) then you round & shape the football by increasing (crocheting 2 in every 4 or 5 stitches, the rest of the stitches would have only 1 in each stitch) until you get the actual shape of the football to follow around, use single crochets near the center & half crochet's as you near the point, then double crochet on the points.

Another way to make a football would be to make 2 half circles (shaped like a longer-flater rainbow) then sew or crochet the 2 half's together.

Let me know if you understand these weird directions. If you need an actual pattern, I can make one up for you (at no charge). When it comes to crocheting I am fairly advanced, & usually make my own intricate patterns since I've been crocheting since 1970.

Cyinda

PS. I found this pattern online:
http://chezcrochet.com/page70.html
It's for a hot pad, but you could increase it by going around & around it until It's the size you want. Be sure to make the points & increase around the curves to keep the shape.

Here's another pattern, but I don't like it as much:
http://crochet.  kly/aa090806.htm

Here's a pattern for a "real" 3-Dimensional football. I bet any child (boy OR girl) would just love this to throw around the house, & I bet my 22 year old son would just love this crocheted football as a "throw" pillow he could really throw (at his friends)!

http://www.croc  ns/football.html

Anonymous

I have a pattern for a football blanket made with granny squares. I have it in an old book and typed it up to the computer. My mom made if for my dad back in the 80s.