Visiting Parke County, Indiana

I am planning a budget-friendly trip to Parke County, Indiana to visit the beautiful and bountiful covered bridges in the area. I would like the 'inside scoop' on the best and cheapest places to stay, eat, and shop, etc. I sent away for brochures but would like to know about the places the locals consider the best since I like to travel the 'back roads'. Thanks for your help.

Annette from Auxvasse, MO

hello, I live about 45 minutes from the Covered Bridge Festival that happens every October here..one place you don't want to go is to Rockville..things there are way toooo expensive..and terribly crowded..there is a place called Bridgeton that has a lot of nice booths and such, and also Dale's Follies..which also has many booths..one place to stay might be in Crawfordsville..the cost would be a lot less and it's only a 45 minute drive..we have some lovely bed and breakfast plaes as well as Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, days Inn...hope this helps some..and it's only my opinion...deb

I would suggest staying in Greencastle Indiana. There is a bed and breakfast there, and it is close to Mansfield and Bridgeton, where you will find wonderful festivals and bridges. Here is the contact info...my daughter in law used to do nails at their spa, and the owner is a great lady who will help you find everything you are looking for - she knows all the back roads and events:

Victorian Day Spa & Inn
1245 South Jackson Street
Greencastle IN 46135
Phone: +1-765-653-5101

I agree that Rockville is very crowded, but if you stay in Greencastle and go during the week, you could visit it too. Greencastle is the home of Depauw University, and has some cute shops and restaurants, but nothing too fancy. Also, there is a great covered bridge out by my son's house that few people are even aware of! It is located off of US 40 in the Reelsville area, just down the road from the Big Walnut Baptist Church. If you decide you want to visit it, just post back here and I will give you more specific directions from whereever you decide to stay! I can also put together some additional info on restaurants and other attractions if you'd like. Let me know when you plan to take your trip and how long you plan to stay, as well as any other specific interests you have.

Enjoy Parke County - it is very lovely, especially in the fall.

The inn at Turkey Run State Park is very nice. They have a great buffet for all meals or you can order off their menu. The park is beautiful and very clean. If you go when it is warm they have a very nice campground also.