Kerosene Heater For Power Outages

We have been experiencing a lot of power loss lately. When this happens, I heat with a kerosene heater. Not only does it keep me warm, but it's my cooking source as well. You can't cook everything this way, but you can make do with many foods.


This past weekend, I didn't have power so I used the heater to heat up canned foods. I also made grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, cooked eggs, and even made coffee. I place my coffee grounds in a filter and twisted it up with a tie twist. Placed this in the coffee container, added the water, and left it to "perc". After a bit, I had delicious coffee as usual. You can prepare so many foods if you just think about it.

The top of the heater gets quite hot, so it doesn't take long. Just make sure the containers you use will be safe for this method

By tricia minter from Ridgeway, VA

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 5, 20100 found this helpful

I live in TN, and I do the same thing and so did my parents when I was a child. But please remember that kerosene heaters can cause carbon monoxide poisoning!! Keep a window in the room where you have the heater OPEN about 2 to 3 inches to help ventilate the room.


I almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning when I was 4 years old from being inside a car that had a exhaust leak. That was almost 42 years ago. I still remember how sick I was and my dad pouring melted snow on my to revive me. So please be careful.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 116 Feedbacks
March 5, 20100 found this helpful

One of the best steaks I ever had was cooked on a kerosene heater! My parents used to cook beans or homemade soup on the heater all the time when I was a kid, even when the power wasn't out.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 26, 20100 found this helpful

In some states kerosene stoves are illegal! If you use a gas generator don't put it in your garage either. Even with the doors open the fumes can seep into your home. If you feel sleepy it's not a good sign, headache too. Also charcoal grills used indoors is a deadly mistake. We have an electronic generator which uses golf cart batteries.


No noise, gas or fumes. See www.Mrelectricity.Com for info. We've had our unit for over 10 years. We are never left in the dark, freezing, or without running water, or the ability to cook. It also runs our computer, alarm system, tv and fridge.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 15, 20190 found this helpful

I know the replies haven't been updated lately, but in my opinion a ventless propane heater is your best bet these days. A lot of them come w/ safety features in case it tips over or over-heats.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageMarch 4, 2010
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-11-28 07:09:14 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.