Clothing StainsCleaning

Fabric Dye Transferred While Clothes Hanging to Dry

I washed some clothes and hung them up to dry and I guess they were too close to each other. Now a light blue striped shirt that was new has a large pink spot on the back, also a pair of light pants have some pink on them. The garments are new. I don't know what to do. The shirt fabric is 80% modal rayon/20% polyester.

By joan Zimmerman from Peoria, IL

I don't know that there is anything to do. What did you hang them on. Clothes lines shouldn't have been that close together. Did you accidentally get a red or deep rose colored item in the laundry?

If you didn't put them into the dryer, which further sets the dye, you could take them out side and turn a jet spray from the water hose on them for a few minutes. If that doesn't do the trick, then a good soaking in dye remover will work. Good luck, I just love this site, don't you?

There was a red item that was between both the shirt and the pants and they were hanging on a rack in the garage, that is why they were too close. I know this is a very big mistake.

Will the dye remover do anything the the rest of the color on the shirt? The shirt is light blue with white and navy stripes