Plastic Canvas Easter Cross

contest winner icon

This is a simple craft for Easter using only plastic canvas and ribbon.

Materials and Tools:

• 1/8 inch ribbon
  • plastic canvas
  • scissors

Instructions:

First you should cut a pattern, start with a rectangle that is 21 squares by 17. Find the center on top edge, leave center square uncut. Cut diagonally until you reach side. You now have a start to the top of the cross. Cross points should go, 1 square/3 square/5 square and then switch to strips of squares, that meet in center.

1. OK, hopefully you were able to cut a pattern from my instructions. Once you have pattern you can hold it up against more canvas to cut more out easily.
  2. Cut a piece of 1/8 inch ribbon that is 4 or 5 feet long. Knot one end, and seal the other end with a lighter (angle cut edge is best), this will make a built in needle. Put through very center of cross.
  3. Start to "sew" from bottom right of cross, through square and around back, up through the top left of cross. You will continue to go to opposite sides in a "loop" fashion (this is so back and front of cross are visually pleasing). Once you finish vertical part of cross, bring to center: loop around and start to do the same thing to horizontal cross arms. When you are finished, wrap to the center, and either knot or run through top center square and use as a bookmark.

This may be confusing, but once you start making it everything will start making sense. Write if you need more help.

By Starchild in VT from Lamoille County, VT

Top Comment

I do alot of plastic canvas and I am always looking for new patterns. This is adorable and with easter coming up and all the readers in my family, I think this will make wonderful easter gifts. Thanks for the pictures, they are very helpful.

I try to do plastic canvas when I have time. I love these. The instructions were a bit confusing, but with the pictures I think i can figure it out.

Thanks for the pictures and directions.

I also do plastic canvassing and this is a cute idea...thanx for sharing :0)

Hey Thanks! Notice the second shot, i missed a square! Oops!

I love this.I am always looking for new things to make as a gift and this is so easy

I didn't think anybody other than me did plastic canvas anymore. These are cute!

Anonymous

I've always liked plastic canvas

This is what I came up with, not sure it was a success or not. I honestly think the ribbon was a much better choice.

Did this cross years ago, lost instructions and so happy I found
this. Thank-you!