Melted Plastic on a Frying Pan?

My boyfriend placed a hot skillet on a plastic bread bag without knowing. Unfortunately, by the time we realized, the bag was melted onto the pan. We tried scrubbing but some plastic remains making the pan unusable. Any ideas on how to clean it? It's an expensive pan and we don't want to throw it away.

Thanks,
Diane from Wayne, NJ

Use something like the side of an old knife to scrape it. I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this plastic is on the bottom and won't show if it gets scratched. Or dampen a cloth so it's barely damp and pour baking soda on part to be cleaned and rub with cloth. Use enough soda to make a little pile, you are using it as a scrubber and it needs to be about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.

I tried that ;;I tried using a knife to scrape I tried steel wool I tried boiling water ;; I tried comet will not soften to come of

By BlueJean (Guest Post)

Try heat the pan again over a flame and then wipe off the melted plastic with paper towel wadded up (of course using something to hold the towel) or slide the bottom of the pan over newspaper until gone. Good luck!

Anonymous

Toxic fumes...

Toxic fumes

I would heat up the pan to melt the plastic again and then scrape it off with something that won't scratch - like a piece of plastic or a plastic spoon - (don't melt them!) It may take several tries, but you should be able to finally get it off.

Try putting the pan in the freezer. Once it is cold enough to make the plastic brittle, you may be able to crack or peel the plastic off.

Go to an Auto Store and buy Label remover. Lift Off is one name or Goo Gone is another. The saleperson will know. If you have a O'Reillys Auto they have it.

It will take off stubborn labels and will probably remove the plastic. It will not hurt your frying pan. Good luck. Let use know if anything works.

By (Guest Post)

Goo Gone or WD40 should work. I used Goo Gone to remove a melted bread bag from a toaster. You can get it at Canadian Tire and Walmart.

By Jazzylazzy (Guest Post)

If the plastic is on the outside, reheat it with your hair dryer. Then use one of the small plastic bread fasteners to scrape it off. Take off as much as you can. Then you can use Comet or Ajax cleanser to get any residue off. I have had to do this with my toaster. Have fun and be patient.

By (Guest Post)

Lowe's also has the Lift-Off and is really cheap! I had the decals one puts on a bath tub to prevent slipping on tile floor. Nothing took them up til Lowe's man told me about Lift Off.

Bought a small can and it was a miracle how easily they came off - no rubbing, no sticky gum on tiles! Also takes the price stickers off things you want to give as gifts!

By Kathryn (Guest Post)

You might also try WD-40 if you happen to have it on hand already.

Razorblade.

Place an old piece of cloth (that you can disgard) over the area of melted plastic and iron the area with a very hot iron. The cloth should absorb the plastic just as happens when you remove candle wax from an object or from carpeting.

If that doesn't work, try some super fine steel wool, such as used for fine finishing between coats of paint, perhaps with a paste made from baking soda, if it still needs some polishing. I clean my stainless steel pots like that every couple of months.They look great!

By Marita (Guest Post)

I put a very hot pan on a plastic cutting board. Will some of these methods for plastic bags being melted on outside of pan work for my situation too?

By Sasha (Guest Post)

At work a plastic mattress pad was thrown into a dryer and it melted. There were clothes in the dryer as well. The melted plastic went onto the clothes. Then the clothes were washed and dried. Now the melted plastic is dried right into the pants. Is there anyway to get it out?

By BoogieP (Guest Post)

I just tried this on my iron which had a plastic bag melted on it. Heat up the iron or skillet just a bit to warm up the plastic.

Once it's warm you get your Goo Gone and use it. If you try Goo Gone with a cold plastic bag, it won't work; when it's heated up, it will! Worked like a charm.

I just did this. Meaning, my hands are still hurting from it. Freezing does absolutely no good, Google and doesn't work either. I didn't want to put it on the stove again because I feared the plastic on the bottom of the pan spreading to the stove. I used a hair dryer and a non-serrated butter knife. Hold the hairdryer as close as you can, and move it only enough to get the butter knife under to scrape and then put the hairdryer back over, scrape Repeat.

I got blackened ziplock bag with tamales melted to bottom of stainless boiler when all of boiling water boiled out of boiler and plastic bag melted and stuck to boiler. Used a Dremel tool with stainless steel wheel and it came right off

without scratching pot. Can get same in copper if pot is copper.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 21, 2009
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf56284759.tip.html