Clothes Washing Savings

Wash clothes in cold water, and skip the dryer. A regular load of wash and wear can be hung on the shower curtain rod. Start slow, one load per week = 52 loads a year. Family members may catch on. Good luck.

By Caroline West from Syracuse, NY

My only concern about using only cold water is that a lot of the bacteria we come into contact with in our daily lives gets onto our clothes and household linens-I just don't believe cold soapy water kills bacteria. And bleach doesn't rinse out in cold water easily-if you are having to run an extra rinse cycle, how is that saving money?

I know it can seem a savings to use cold water, but if the clothes and linens aren't disinfected properly it can be a false economy-one that leads to more money spent on over the counter meds or even doctor visits.

I do hang-dry my laundry, have for years. Hanging out the wash on a bright sunny day also helps to disinfect clothing and linens, but even hanging out the wash on a grey day saves running the tumble dryer. Here in Scotland (and back in AL, USA) washing goes out on the line even in freezing cold weather-it dries eventually:) LOL, back in AL there were times the jeans were frozen stiff, but they were also dry!