Bird FeedersGarden & Yard

Can I Use a Plastic Coffee Container for a Birdhouse?

Could an empty 2 pound plastic coffee container be used to make a bird house? How could I do it?

Judy R. from LeRoy, NY

By trish (Guest Post)

Yes, Yes. I paint them put hole in the lid hang up under our carport and we have Carolina wrens every year nest in them.

By DHFabian (Guest Post)

On a related topic: Is there some kind of paint that will stick to those clear plastic instant coffee jars? I thought of decorating them with contact paper, but the problem there is; how to apply the contact paper evenly around the curves at the top of the jar.

By (Guest Post)

Instead of painting the plastic containers, I use an indoor-safe paint stripper to remove the "labels". Just brush on a thin coat, wait a few minutes and then wipe off with paper towel, followed by a hot soapy wash.

A paint called Gripper is one of the greatest inventions on the planet. Glidden makes it. Put gripper on anything and you create a surface you can paint on. Lisa

Here's my ladybug birdhouse. The only mistake I made was putting the hole too high. I will fix it, make it about two inches from the bottom of the can so the babies can hop out easily.

I like to be able to pop open the bottom and use that for clean out.

here is another pic. The front came from a thrift store but could be easily made with a jigsaw and a dremel for the detail