Use Vinegar as a Weed Killer

How do I make and use vinegar weed killer?

By Glenda from Winfield, MO

Best Answer

I used it when I lived in Louisiana & had fairly good luck. On a bright sunny day, I would spray full strength white vinegar on weeds & grass growing in places I didn't want it growing (like a small crack I had in the driveway). It took a few days to work. It won't work on huge patches, just strays and small clumps.

I remember reading something about this. It was mentioned to use on moss on sidewalks, driveways, etc. instead of harsh bleach. They used it in a garden sprayer. I was thinking of trying it myself this spring also. Still a little to rainy here in Oregon. If it works good, I'll try it again at half strength and cut it again if that works to.

The vinegar used as weed killer is stronger than what you buy at the grocery store. The garden stores have the stronger weed killer vinegar. The weather needs to be warm for it to work, also.

I am looking for a homemade weed killer using a base of vinegar.

By Bill from Melbourne, FL

Answers:

Use Vinegar as a Weed Killer

I boil the vinegar and pour it over the weed. I guess you could try diluting the vinegar first with water. But straight boiling hot vinegar does the job perfectly. (03/05/2010)

By angeltrumpet

This is not original; however, I have discovered not too many people are aware of this. I have been doing this very successfully for many years.

I don't like to put "poison" of any kind in my yard because of pets and children and frankly, wildlife. However, I really don't like weeds, especially in my walk and driveway and up against the house, and pulling them can sometimes be difficult. The solution: pour any kind of cheap white vinegar on them, they die and are easy to pull, you may have to do it twice, but it never fails to work. The smell disappears quickly!

I don't remember where I first heard of this or when, but I have been doing this for at least 30 years.

By Bunny from Grand Rapids, MI

Answers:

Use Vinegar as a Weed Killer

I never could get it to work for me. I used like a gallon of white vinegar on my weeds. They weren't terribly overgrown, but all it did was dry the leaves. The roots stayed strong. I pulled them all out and used vinegar again, but it never phased any of the weeds in my garden. (10/01/2009)

By assvamp