Use a Bathroom Rug to Move Furniture

Recently I needed to switch furniture in two rooms in my house. I have beautiful hardwood floors that are 57 years old and was afraid of scratching them. The furniture I needed to move (by myself) was heavy, big pieces and cumbersome. I thought about getting some of those mover thingies you put under the legs to move things but I didn't trust them to not scratch the floors.

On the day I started moving the small stuff, I was doing laundry. My bathroom rugs (non-skid back, fluffy top) were sitting on the floor by the washer and I had a light bulb moment! I took the rugs into one room and turned them upside down. I put a small table on top and slide the table into the next room. NO marks on the floor! I have a 5' sideboard which is super heavy and I managed to move that on top of a rug BY MYSELF!

So next time you need to move some furniture over hardwood floors just grab a bathroom rug!

By Teri from Long Beach, CA

Top Comment

You can also use an old quilt or blanket - I've done that myself.

Top Comment

This is a great tip...I do this all the time, but never thought of it as a "tip"...thanks for sharing!! I also buy those cheap rugs at the dollar store and leave one under each piece of furniture, that way, I can move stuff any time I feel like it, without having to manouver the piece of furniture onto the rug!! My son says that he should never leave me alone, because when he comes home from a weekend trip, he finds all the rooms changed around!!

But you have to lift the heavy piece enough to get anything under it in order to move it. When you have a bad back or elderly it's still not a good idea.