Moving Heavy Furniture

Category Furniture
Moving heavy furniture can be a challenge and can cause damage to you or your home if not done wisely. This is a page about moving heavy furniture.

Recently I needed to switch furniture in two rooms in my house. I have beautiful hardwood floors that are 57 years old and was afraid of scratching them. The furniture I needed to move (by myself) was heavy, big pieces and cumbersome. I thought about getting some of those mover thingies you put under the legs to move things but I didn't trust them to not scratch the floors.

On the day I started moving the small stuff, I was doing laundry. My bathroom rugs (non-skid back, fluffy top) were sitting on the floor by the washer and I had a light bulb moment! I took the rugs into one room and turned them upside down. I put a small table on top and slide the table into the next room. NO marks on the floor! I have a 5' sideboard which is super heavy and I managed to move that on top of a rug BY MYSELF!

So next time you need to move some furniture over hardwood floors just grab a bathroom rug!

By Teri from Long Beach, CA

Top Comment

You can also use an old quilt or blanket - I've done that myself.

Top Comment

This is a great tip...I do this all the time, but never thought of it as a "tip"...thanks for sharing!! I also buy those cheap rugs at the dollar store and leave one under each piece of furniture, that way, I can move stuff any time I feel like it, without having to manouver the piece of furniture onto the rug!!

My son says that he should never leave me alone, because when he comes home from a weekend trip, he finds all the rooms changed around!!

When moving furniture on carpet, place a magazine with a glossy cover on all corners. This will make moving the furniture easy. When moving furniture on wood floors, place a wash clothes folded in fourths on all corners and move with ease.

By Michele from Bangor, PA

I just read Jackie H's post for using washcloths to make moving heavy furniture easier. I think this is a great idea, and I have plenty of microfiber washcloths I got from the Dollar Tree @ 3 for a dollar.

But what about heavy appliances that aren't built in, such as a stove or refrigerator? Here is really a case of two heads being better than one. I have new vinyl and carpet throughout the house. I sure wouldn't want to dig a hole in the vinyl while pulling out the stove to clean behind it.

For years, I have been using spray silicone to make sliding appliances easier. When cleaning behind the fridge, for example, I spray a thin film of silicone on the floor where the fridge sits, being careful not to get any on the surrounding floor. This makes sliding the fridge back in and then out the next time I clean so much easier.

I still worry though that those small metal feet on the fridge will mar the vinyl due to the sheer weight of the appliance. So, with Judy's help, I've come up with a plan that I think will work great. I shall give it a try.

The next time I pull out the stove, and before I slide it back in place. I'm going to put a folded wash cloth under each foot (you ladies might need some help with this). Then I'll spray the area where it sits with silicone.

Judy's way works. My way works. Both ways together and it should be a breeze. Kinda silly, I know, but I almost wish it was dirty behind my stove. I'm just that anxious to give this a try.

The cloths wont be seen and they'll always be there ahead of time. Yes!

How to move a heavy piece of furniture when you are alone, without scratching hardwood floors. Use 4 facecloths, one under each leg.

Then you can gently push and pull with no strain, just let it glide smoothly along the hardwood floors. It really works beautifully!

This page is about moving heavy furniture on carpet. You can make or buy sliders to help you move heavy pieces over all kinds of floors.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To help move heavy furniture more easily on tile or wood floors, lift just enough to slip a throw rug or one of those carpet samples, carpet side down, under the edge. It will slide across the floor and also protect the floor from scratches. I use this method to move my large file cabinet in my office. And my refrigerator in the kitchen.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Answers:

Moving Heavy Furniture

Have you seen the Moving Men sliders. They are the best! I got mine at Walmart for under ten dollars. They move bedroom furniture, loaded bookcases, on carpet, lino, tile. I just got some new recliners. We put them together in my front room and then put the sliders under the four legs and slid them on the carpet across the kitchen lino to the family room carpet with ease. It is a breeze to move furniture. I move my furniture frequently because I'm able to with these sliders. I can get those baseboards that most people overlook because furniture is difficult to move. Try them you'll love them!
(11/17/2005)

By Jennifer CA

Moving Heavy Furniture

You know what is easier? I save all the shoulder pads I take out of blouses, etc and use those under anything large I want to move. The satiny ones work best!! Give it a try. (11/20/2005)

By jaxi3

Moving Heavy Furniture

The idea for putting carpet samples under your couch legs also works if your furniture is on hardwood floors. Little carpet samples under the legs will keep the couch in place on the slippery hardwood surface and won't scratch the floors when you sit on the couch or the kids push the furniture around. (10/22/2008)

By CT

Moving Heavy Furniture

Home Depot and I suppose most of the other big hardware stores sell plastic sliders. Slip one under each leg of heavy piece of furniturwe and slide away. Unless the bottoms of sliders get damaged they can be used over and over. Works great. (02/05/2009)

By Robert Wood

Moving Heavy Furniture

My sister showed me that if you put a glossy magazine under the legs or leading-edge of a heavy piece of furniture, it will slide across the carpet SO easy! I have used this often. Frugal! (02/16/2009)

By OrahLee

Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureSeptember 25, 2016
📓
🐛
🌻