Moving a Large Couch Into Your House

Category Furniture
Moving large, often heavy pieces of furniture can present you with a variety of challenges. This is a guide about moving a large couch into your house.

I bought a two piece sectional leather couch, custom made. It is 86 inches in length and 40 inches in width. I live in a first floor apartment, where the door is parallel to the stairs. As we enter in the door on the left side are the stairs. The door is not straight to stairs. The ceiling above the door is not high. How do I get the couch in the door? Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

By cherrychinni sss from MA

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like you will need to get the couch into the door and stand it up. Take it in with what you would feel see to be the top first so as it goes into your door the end going in first gets lifted up and the end that would be the bottom is brought in under it.

Now with the couch in the hall you can turn it and hopefully have enough room to tilt the top into the door to your apartment and then lift it into the room like you did when you brought it into the hallway.
It may be possible to put a flat furniture roller under the couch while it is in the hall. This would allow you to tilt the top into the othr door and roll it into the apartment.

The only other thing I can suggest is a window. I moved out of a house and had to take the couch out through the window because we could not figure out how they had gotten it into the house to begin with.