Clean Your Toilet with Baking Soda and Red Wine Vinegar

Last month, Connie from Paintsville, KY, posted a tip about cleaning a toilet with baking soda and red wine vinegar. Several TF readers asked for more specifics (how much of each product do you use?), but I never saw Connie's answer. Does anyone know?

Thanks very much for your help.

By Caseye from Plano, TX

I would just put in the baking soda, and then add the vinegar carefully...because it will fizz like crazy when it hits the baking soda, and you don't want a smelly, fizzy mess on your floor. :-)

Why not just experiment yourself?
http://www.natu … ningrecipes.com/

My family and I decided to go green back in August. We live in a rural community and there are few green products available. One day while experimenting with a better way to clean the commode, my daughter and I decided to use baking soda and plain white vinegar. This did a decent job, but there was lots of scrubbing involved. The next time we tried baking soda again, but this time we used red wine vinegar and it was amazing. Foamed longer and left bowl completely clean, NO SCRUBBING. It left no dirt and did not stain my commode (which was my fear in using the red wine vinegar). It was amazing. This is my new eco friendly toilet cleaner.

By Connie from Paintsville, KY

Answers:

I hope you found a place that sells red wine vinegar rather inexpensive, as it can be pretty pricey in a grocery store in the small bottle size! (11/17/2008)

What ratios did you use? Thanks. (11/17/2008)

By arlene.

More information please. How much of each do you use? Which goes in the toilet first? How long do you leave it in there before flushing? (11/17/2008)

By Ginger Yazak

You can get red wine vinegar at the Dollar Store in your area, and a good size bottle too. (11/18/2008)

By Irene