Fun Little Reminders to Help You Stay Frugal

I am determined to increase the portion of my monthly pay I put into savings. It goes without saying, this is not always easy.

What helps me out is I have devised a little "totem" or "symbol" for myself.. It's a bird's nest, symbolizing a "nest egg". I have a little rubber stamp of a bird's nest with 3 eggs in it. I stamp or sketch little bird's nests on my grocery list, shopping list, budget, and daily To Do Lists. It's a pleasant little reminder to stay with the program and think about the nest egg, not just the desired purchase.

Also I have a "slogan". It is, "Can I make this myself or modify something I already have for this purpose?" This one's really telling, because it gets you to think about different uses for things you already have. And know what? Most of the time this works!

By Jayne

Good tips! I also save money by borrowing items that I only need once or twice instead of buying them. It's easy on Facebook, I just post what I want to borrow and usually a friend or neighbor will offer it. Of course, I make certain I return it promptly and in good condition. I have also received good coupons doing it the same way.