Squirrels and ChipmunksPest Control

Keeping Squirrels Out of a Tree

I have a ornamental pear tree in front of my house. The squirrels make so much mess. Is there a way to stop them from coming on the tree?

By Virender

Anonymous

I honestly don't know what you could try other than wrapping the bottom four or five feet of the tree with light guage sheet metal (they can't climb slick surfaces) but then again squirrels are jumpers so still would be able to get in the tree. Personally I would just leave the squirrels alone because maybe they make a mess simply because they don't like the tree being ornamented - LOL ;-)

In all seriousness, climbing trees to eat their bounty or build a nest is their nature. The outdoors is their domain. If you don't want a mess then either cut the tree down or get a humane trap to capture them and release them in a park or woods elsewhere.

I don't think it is possible to keep squirrels out of trees.

I read elsewhere here about sprinkling a garden with cinnamon and /or cayenne pepper to keep squirrels from eating or stealing flower bulbs. Maybe that would work in your tree?

Let's just say you and I invaded their home and they have a right to eat to stay alive. I sprayed my peach tree with hot pepper and Murphy's oil soap and they left it alone but after a rain had to retreat but I got a bountiful crop of peaches for it.

I feed my squirrels in the chicken pen so the dogs don't chase them but fruit especially peach and pear and pecan are their favorites.

I had squirrels in my attic and what I did was save my urine and put it in a water gun. When the squirrel left I squirted the area where I had seen it go in and out. It is the same as a wild animal marking its territory. It worked and when I was sure it wouldn't try again for awhile I then proceeded to plug the hole. But you could go to the dollar store and buy some plastic snakes and put them in the tree in various places. Good Luck

I suggest trying moth balls scattered around the tree. I would say to not put them right by the trunk, but spread them out.

Anonymous

Please, no mothballs! They are highly toxic not only to all living creatures and foliage but also to soil and the waterways the chemicals might run or seep in to.