AdviceGeneral Parenting

Having Poison Control Information in Your Home

Category Advice

What can my baby have if he drinks a chemical product in my house? What antidote should I keep right in my house?

By Raymond C.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 14, 20110 found this helpful

Ipecac syrup is used for poisoning. This causes one to throw it up. You still have to take them to the hospital or clinic!! Some things should not be thrown up, however, causes as much or worse damage coming up (bleach, drain cleaner, etc). You can get this syrup at most (if not all pharmacies, any of them, like Walmart, etc)(Ask Pharmacist). You need to get a poison control sheet and study it. The best medicine is prevention! Do not store this stuff within a child's reach ever. If there is no other place to store the products, buy child proof locks and keep them on at all times. Some kids never bother the stuff (my daughter) while some kids try to eat & drink everything (my son), but don't take chances.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 14, 20110 found this helpful

Some chemicals cause twice the dammage if they are thrown back up. Don't ask us, ask your doctor, go to the ER or get the number of poisen control and call that.


What if we tell you the wrong advice? And keep your chemicals under lock and key.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 14, 20110 found this helpful

Have you considered keeping ALL chemical products securely under lock and key in a high place away from your child? and if after all these precautions the child gains access call your Dr and in the case of animals call the Vet.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 15, 20110 found this helpful

Ipecac syrup was discontinued years ago. Apparently 'those that know better' decided it wasn't useful & could be harmful.

I agree with Lilac, what if we give you the wrong advice? Treatment depends on what type of ingredient was swallowed, but doing the wrong thing can be very harmful or even deadly. Giving milk or inducing vomiting can have dire consequences depending on what it's used for.Giving charcoal helps slow the absorption, but you still need to know what to do after.


You are better off talking to your baby's doctor if that's possible. Also, every parent should have the Poison Control # posted in a handy place, or programmed on speed dial.

If your baby ingests something, Poison Control is the best place to get advice on what to do, don't think you can handle it yourself! And don't worry that they are going to get mad at you if you call, they are there to help you. They will tell you what to do & if it's not a case where you need to seek immediate medical attention, they will call you back later to make sure the baby is ok.

This is their website, they have helpful information & the phone # you should always keep handy:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Parenting General Parenting AdviceJuly 13, 2011
Fourth of July Ideas!
Pest Control
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/07/04 02:43:07 in 707 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!