AdvicePets

Keeping Cats From Using Dog's Pet Door

I want my dogs to have access in and out using the pet door, but I do not want my cats to come in. Any suggestions?

Jenni from Los Angeles

I've read somewhere that there is a sensored doggie door and it only allows animals in that carry the sensor on their collars. You could research that on the internet. I was thinking about getting it for my dog since I am prone to getting skunks around here! Wouldn't that just be wonderful to have a skunk meandering around in my house! Ha Ha! Good luck!

Yes, I too have seen the doors that require the pet to have the access thingy on their collars. There are a lot of people who don't want all the neighborhood pets and wild life in their homes!

What was your secret in getting the cat to use the pet door? I have even used catnip spray on mine and the cat still won't use it. The only time she actually did use it was when one of the dogs was chasing her, but she never used it again. She meows until I get up to let her in or out. I think I'm a slave to my animals, but I love them anyhow.

When she meow's to go out, gently push her through the door. She will soon get the message. Did this with my sister's little dog that was here to visit. You have to get up anyway. She will know to come back through if you don't let her in. They really are pretty smart. Pets have a way of training YOU!