Advice For Night Blooming Cereus

I have a Queen of the Night/Baby in the Manger that just bloomed tonight/morning. I have never seen that before. Awesome! My question is do you think if I cut the bloom before it closes I can keep the smell and if so how? It smells so good.

By Richie from TN

Richie,
It has been my experience that you cannot keep the scent of the bloom. I have tried several methods, including placing the freshly cut bloom in the cold and dark of the refrigerator. I did this because I wanted to show the bloom to a friend later in the day. In the refrigerator, the bloom still closes within 3-4 hours and loses it's scent. What a shame.

Doug

I have a wonderful night blooming cereus and as the blooms are growing (two inch tips) they turn black and do not bloom. Can anyone help me ? I would love to see it in it's full glory. Am I over watering it?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Kathy from Land O Lakes, FL

Home and Garden Gardening CactusAugust 27, 2010
🍀
💘