HealthDogs

Cluster of Ticks

My neighbor's dog pretty much lives at my house and I noticed that he has a cluster of ticks on his shoulder. There were probably 8 ticks of various sizes! I got some of them off and noticed a swollen area with some pus. I am guessing it is infected.

Is there anything I can put on him? I am sure it hurts but don't legally have the right to take him to the vet. His owner is NEVER home (guess that is why he hangs at my place). He is a beautiful golden retriever about 9 months old.

Can I put aloe on it? How about antibiotics for people? It is strange that this is the only spot of ticks he has... there aren't ANY anywhere else on him.

I thought about putting Frontline on him, but don't know if his owner has already done so and my vet said that double doses are dangerous.

What do I do?

Thanks

I would try rinsing it with peroxide, no aloe, no antibiotics for people. If it is really infected, he probably does need antibiotics from a veterinarian. You could call your vet and ask him what you should do. Does your neighbor still want the dog? To leave a dog wandering around covered with ticks while the owner is not there most of the time sounds like neglect, to me. I would try to talk with the neighbor about the situation and explain that the dog needs medical attention. They probably have not noticed.

I agree with the previous post. Your neighbor is neglecting their dog. And I appreciate that you are concerned. Try asking your vet, talking to the neihgbor,etc as the last post said. Then, as a previous volunteer at an animal shelter, I would strongly advise calling animal control or the SPCA, Humane Socieity,etc. They can difinitely talk to the owner. They may end up taking the dog away from the owner. If that is best for the dog. That is their first concern. I don't know how it would work out for you, depending on the laws where you live you may be able to keep him. Or the owner may have to take better care of him. Then you at least will have a healthier dog visiting you. It is very unhealthy for a dog to have ticks left on him for any length of time.

Good luck.

I would contact the humane society and find out what home remedy works best, without damaging the skin where it is getting pussy. I would also let them know about the neighbor, they may need to pay a fine depending on the laws

Thanks for the info...yes, I agree that it is neglect. I would GLADLY assume responsibility for this beautiful dog. I guess, deep down, I am afraid if I say anything, he will lock him up and judging by his concern so far, I am afraid he would thirst and starve to death.

Also, where we live is VERY rural, so the dog is really not a bother to anyone. This guys house is probably a half a mile away.

He's not covered with ticks, it is only this one spot on his coat. It is so strange! Otherwise his coat is healthy and tick free.

Anyway, thanks for the advise...

I would first talk with your neighbor and let him/her know what is going on. If he/she is stand offish or defensive then I would strongly encourage you to report it as animal cruelty.

I would try Watkins Petro Carbo Salve. Do you have anything like that around? It's been a favorite in rural communities for years and years. Some people may remember their parents or grandparents keeping the salve in the medicine cabinet. We use it here for all kinds of cuts, scrapes, and insect bites. It's a "drawing" salve and is good on splinters, too. Many people keep it for wounds on their horses as well. It's safe to use on dogs (not on cats as they lick too much). Poor dog. That's nice of you to want to help. I can send you a catalog if you'd like to look at the salve.

Trudy Powell
Independent Watkins Assoc. #357561
trudypowell@sbcglobal.net (for catalog)

If the owner was using Frontline, the ticks would die before getting engorged - at least that's what happens when my dog gets an occasional tick, I'd say he's probably not protected!

Contact your neighbor and inquire about the animal. It may be unwanted and you could adopt the animal and care for his needs. Or it might be a Hobo that just doesn't like to stay home. If there is infection you wouldn't want to put anymore flea medication on the animal. My vet says that anything you use on yourself can be used on pets. If you think your neighbor is neglecting the animal and doesn't want to relinquish it then call your local animal control. Only the Animal Control Officer has the authority to investigate and enforce your local laws regarding pets.

I've used "Bag Balm" on minor wounds on my dogs in the past. It's available at most drug stores and Walmart. It's vasoline based, has "drawing" capabilities and doesn't seem to hurt the animal if they lick and swallow it.

my dog went into the woods and came covered with ticks I mean hundreds of them. We tried to get them off but there are so many and it is one O'clock in the morning. The dog is going to the vet when the vet opens but in the mean time what do I do