LaundryCleaning

Removing Leather Dye from Socks

My husband's work boots stain his socks a rust color. I've tried bleaching them and using Borax, Oxi Clean, and every stain remover you can think of. Any suggestions on how to get out the stains?

By Louise from Monrovia, CA

I assume the socks are white? Have him wear dark socks (black) and the stains will not be visible.

If it's leather dye, you're probably stuck with it. Keep the stained socks separate as designated "work socks" so he doesn't ruin any more.

I'm not sure if the stain would be a protien type like baby doodoo, but years ago to keep the stains out of the cloth white diapers, I would let them soak in a mix of Purex and bleach. Always had nice white diapers no matter how bad they looked going in the pail. Worth a shot. My aunt always kept a bar of Zest soap at her washer for stains and swore by it. She raised 5 active children and their clothes were alway stain free. She would wet the stain and rub the bar into it and then wash as usual. Different ideas, maybe one will help you out. Good luck

Rit Dye Remover, sold where Rit dye is sold, should work. I got dye from a book cover on a white sweater. I tried at least a dozen spot removers, including chlorine bleach, and nothing worked 'til I used the dye remover.

It removed the stain completely. Be careful with it - it removes dye from everything!