Repairing a Ripped Fitted Sheet?

Over the past 5 years I have enjoyed the "luxury" of Egyptian cotton bed sheets. I have always bought them on sale, but they are still not a cheap item. The fitted bottom sheet has ripped and is a bit on the thin side. (My husband's side of the bed of course.) The rest of the sheet (3 years old at least) is still in fantastic condition.

I don't want to throw it out and wonder if a patch would be uncomfortable. I would love to hear from any of you clever people out there with any suggestions.

By Di from New Zealand

Best Answer

I think you can put a patch on it, but use soft material and place it on the underside of the sheet. The secure it by sewing over the hole and patch in multiple rows (over the rip) so that the rip is securely held. That's one idea.

I tried the patch idea and it didnt hold; I even put it on the top of the bed under the pillow

Best Answer

Ok girl, just last month, I had the same problem. So I looked in my sewing box and found a big size iron on patch. Flipped that sheet over to the wrong side, ironed it on and it's now on my bed.

No problem at all! Good luck with yours!

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 147 Feedbacks

I suggest to put iron on patches on sheets, good luck.

Anonymous

I am cutting up the torn/worn out sheet and making pillow cases. Unfortunately, I have had no luck trying to repair or patch expensive luxury sheets once worn out.

My grandmother used a French seam on sheets. No raw edges.

Anonymous

I think the patch on the right side is ok for your comfort. If your side tears then that's a different matter - buy new sheets

Bronze Feedback Medal for 2021. 15 Feedbacks

If the bottom sheet is just thin and no holes, get some iron-on interfacing the right width you need to cover the thin area and some extra width on all sides of the iron-on patch you're going to create. Take the sheet and put it face down on a large enough surface that you can spread the sheet out flat in the thin area. Now cut the interfacing a little bigger than the thin area you want to reinforce...cut the corners rounded.

Pin in place, then take the sheet to your ironing board and iron it onto the sheet following manufacturers directions. You've just created your own reinforcement patch for a thin sheet !!!!
***Note - iron-on interfacing comes in several thicknesses and widths, so make sure you get the one that will give you desired thickness and measure your sheets thin area you want to reinforce.

Crafts SewingOctober 2, 2009
🎄
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63390669.tip.html