How Can I Make My Yogurt Thicker?

I make goat's milk yogurt, but it turns out thin and not thick like I want. I like spoonable yogurt. Can someone help me without having to put all kinds of preservatives in it? Thanks.

By Beverly from Havana, AR

First off I have absolutely zippo experience making yogurt. But if you are comparing yours to commercial yogurts they often add things to thicken them up and or to keep the whey from separating out.

Here are a few articles that mention adding powdered milk or gelatin to thicken it up.

I have taken reg yogurt and strained it with a yogurt strainer which removes some of the whey and makes a thicker yogurt similar to the greek yogurt in stores now. The whey is good to save and use in soups.

fiascofarm.com/.../yogurt.htm
www.backwoodshome.com/.../clay92.html
notecook.com/.../

I add 1/2 Cup of nonfat dry powdered milk to mine and I use Greek yogurt as a starter. Hope this helps! cindy

Yogurt can be thickened by straining it through cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Place a coffee filter in a strainer or colander. Put the strainer over a large bowl to catch the liquid.

Spoon the yogurt onto the coffee filter. Set in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 hours, until yogurt has thickened to your liking. The liquid in the bowl is whey -- add it to soup, smoothies, etc for a protein boost!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJune 8, 2010
😎
🌻
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63391705.tip.html

Food FixesFood Tips